The lice return to the classroom
Not only Children return to occupy the schools: the lice , those unwanted insects that populate the heads of children, also return to the classroom. Lice are insects that live between the hair, are about two millimeters long, are gray, have no wings; They feed on the blood they suck from the scalp when they bite people and reproduce quickly.
It is estimated that each female lays one hundred to three hundred eggs , called nits, which are white and strongly attached to the base of the hair. It takes seven to ten days for the egg to hatch and the larva to develop.
To prevent this problem, it is important not to wait for the first cases of parasitization to appear; parents must be on alert from the beginning of the course, observing carefully and periodically the heads of their children and treating them, if necessary, effectively.
The main symptom of the parasitization is the itching of the scalp , caused by the irritation of the saliva that the insect deposits in the small wound of the bite that it makes to suck the blood with which it feeds. The irritation becomes so intense that, when scratched, skin peeling and bacterial infections can occur.
Know the symptoms
How to know if the itch is a symptom of the presence of the parasite? It is necessary to check if there are nits (they differ from dandruff and seborrheic scales in that they have a pearly brilliance and are attached to the hair, so it is difficult to extract them) attached to the base of the hair or, more rarely, they can be identified the live lice.
Experts recommend to check the hair a minimum of twice a week , preferably behind the ears and on the nape of the neck, and do it with the help of a magnifying glass and under good lighting.
The danger of contagion is real and, apparently, very probable, because it spreads easily among people in conditions of close coexistence as is the case of homes, schools or nurseries.
You should especially avoid sharing combs, brushes, hair ornaments, hats, scarves, towels or handkerchiefs because this is the main route of infection (lice do not jump or fly). Transmission is possible as long as there are live insects in the infected person or in his accessories and until all the nits have been eliminated.
To prevent infection, you must carefully comb the hair two or three times a day and, as a general hygienic measure, wash the head with soap and water two or three times a week , at least.
The preventive use of insecticide products is not recommended in non-parasitized people. In addition, if a person discovers that he has lice, it is necessary that he communicate it to those around him so they can check if they also have and take preventive measures.
The treatment of parasitized children consists in applying an insecticide preparation (they are sold in various types in pharmacies), strictly following the instructions of each product, as many times as necessary until all the lice are killed.
To eliminate the nits it is enough to rinse the hair, after washing it, with a mixture of water and vinegar and then pass a comb with very fine quills and remove them with your fingers.
It is evident that the combs and brushes must also be cleaned with the same antiparasitic preparation , and the articles of clothing of the affected person can be washed with very hot water.
On the other hand, it is important that, in schools, all parasitized students are treated simultaneously, since contagion can occur between affected children not treated and children already treated.
The post The lice return to the classroom appeared first on HealthBodha.com.