Summary: Jim Carrey said that the second wrongful death lawsuit filed against him is a “shakedown.”
The family of Jim Carrey’s late ex-girlfriend have certainly brought him an extra level of pain. Both the ex’s husband and her mother have filed Wrongful Death lawsuits against him, blaming the actor for the suicide of Cathriona White. On Tuesday, Carrey responded to the second lawsuit filed by White’s mother, Brigid Sweetman, and he essentially said enough was enough.
- Related: Jim Carrey Hit with Second Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Earlier this month, Sweetman filed a wrongful death lawsuit, and she claimed that Carrey gave White three STDS, including herpes, and supplied the depression-prone makeup artist with prescription drugs. In 2015, White intentionally overdosed on medication, which had been purchased by Carrey under a fake name. Carrey claimed that she had stolen the pills, but Sweetman and White’s husband Mark Burton said Carrey gave them to her.
Sweetman is seeking funeral expenses as well as other damages, and she claimed Carrey is liable for White’s death under the Drug Dealer Liability Act. However, Carrey said that her lawsuit is a “shakedown.” In the court document obtained by Us Weekly, Carrey claimed that while he was dating White, greedy Sweetman wanted him to purchase a house for Sweetman. When Carrey declined, Sweetman allegedly became bitter and angry.
White’s death was ruled a suicide, and in Carrey’s motion, he stated that it was her own decision to take her life. He added that Sweetman did not have a real relationship with her daughter, and that Carrey had been nothing but loving in their on and off romance.
- Related: New Lawsuit Alleges Jim Carrey Obtained Prescription Drugs for Late Girlfriend Cathriona White
Carrey added that he did not give White any STDs, and he called this lawsuit a “shameless money grab.”
Sweetman responded that if Carrey were to take a STD test and the results were negative, she would drop her lawsuit.
Attorney Michael Avenatti is representing Burton and Sweetman. On Tuesday, he told Us Weekly that he stands by his clients.
“We are highly confident that the court will see this for what it is, which is a distraction tactic dreamed up by Carrey and his lawyers,” Avenatti said. “The request has no merit.”
Burton had first filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Carrey, and he alleged similar things that Sweetman had stated.
Radar Online reports that friends of the actor worry that Carrey is becoming suicidal himself because of the stress of the litigation.
What do you think of Sweetman’s lawsuit? Let us know in the comments below.
Source: Us Weekly
Photo courtesy of Just Jared