Cell Expansion Market Growth & Trends
The global cell expansion market size is expected to reach USD 39.7 billion by 2027 registering a CAGR of 9.4%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Cell expansion techniques are increasingly employed for the development of cellular and gene therapies from a single cord blood collection. These techniques can also be used for the expansion of stored Stem Cells (SCs) for the development of cancer therapies. Therefore, significant developments in cord blood SCs expansion technologies are expected to boost market growth.
Companies have made heavy investments for the expansion of tissue-engineered products and the development of biologics. For instance, in March 2019, Merck KGaA invested USD 168 million for the expansion of its biologics manufacturing facility in Switzerland. Such initiatives are expected to boost the demand for solutions required for biologic development, thereby leading to market growth.
Bioreactors are fundamental tools in this market. Extensive research studies related to the applications of bioreactor engineering approaches have led to the incorporation of novel culture technologies. Moreover, the combined use of automated bioreactors with the microcarrier technology leads to an efficient expansion and enrichment of the cancer SCs. As a result, these approaches have gained immense traction in this market.
Request a free sample copy or view report summary:
Cell Expansion Market Report
Cell Expansion Market Report Highlights
- Broad portfolio of automated expansion systems along with improvements in bioreactor design for large-scale bioproduction results in the lucrative growth opportunity for instruments
- The microbial cells segment is expected to witness the fastest growth rate owing to the implementation of high-throughput cultivation approaches and techniques that avoid the formation of biofilms
- Biopharmaceuticals segment held the largest revenue share in 2019 due to growth in the demand for biosimilars, continuous R&D investments in biomanufacturing, and rise in the number of approvals for biologics
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at the maximum CAGR from 2020 to 2027 due to presence of several consortiums that focus on the evolving fields in the biomedical industry
- For instance, in November 2019, the Cell & Gene Therapy Asia 2019 held in Japan focused on the evolving field of SCs for their deployment in pharmaceutical discovery and cellular therapies