Perfectly moist and packed with flavor, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Banana Bread offers the perfect balance between the richness of pumpkin puree and the natural sweetness of mashed bananas.
Bananas are one of my favorite foods. So when I go to the grocery store, I always pick up a bunch of bananas.
There are times when I can’t keep enough bananas in the house, and there are other times when no one seems to want them, and they start to turn brown and become over-ripe.
I hate to see food go to waste, so I usually whip up a batch of Banana Bread. I try different variations – like my Addictively Delicious Banana Protein Muffins, but it is still banana bread. 😂
But this year, I wanted to do some experimenting. We’ll soon be heading out for our first mountain biking race of the season, and I like to bring healthy (but delicious) foods to share with the team and keep those boys fueled up (and satisfy their sweet tooth in a healthier way, too).
I saw recently saw a reference to Pumpkin Banana Bread and thought, “What could be better than combining two classics together?” Hello! The cooler weather of the fall season makes me crave all our favorite fall flavors and pumpkin recipes!
Obviously, I had to start experimenting with creating a yummy version for my family!
One Of Our New Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
What sets this Pumpkin Banana Bread apart from traditional banana bread recipes is its unique blend of seasonal spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves add a warm and comforting aroma that fills your kitchen as it bakes.
This pumpkin chocolate chip bread has seriously become one of my favorite recipes!
Every bite is an explosion of flavors, providing the perfect balance between the earthiness of pumpkin and the familiar taste of ripe bananas.
This heavenly combination of two beloved flavors is sure to satisfy your cravings and become an instant favorite. Whether you serve up a slice for breakfast, a snack, or a piece for dinner, you’ll have to worry more about having enough on hand than what to do with the leftovers!
If you love easy and tasty breads, try my Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread, Fresh Strawberry Bread, or Pumpkin Spice Bread.
Ingredients Needed For Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe
You only need a few simple ingredients to create a flavorful bread SO good that you’ll constantly get requests for a delicious loaf of moist pumpkin bread. Gather these ingredients:
- Banana – ripe brown bananas are ideal
- Pumpkin Puree
- Butter – I prefer salted butter
- Oil – vegetable oil, canola oil, or melted coconut oil
- White Sugar – granulated
- Eggs – beaten
- Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour – or whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour mixture
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – or you can make your own
- Chocolate Chips – I like to use a combination of chocolate chunks and chocolate chips
*NOTE: Please refer to the handy printable recipe card at the end of the post for more recipe details.
How to Make Pumpkin Banana Bread
Follow these step-by-step instructions, and you’ll soon find yourself enjoying the most addictively yummy and moist pumpkin banana bread recipe.
Begin by preheating the oven. Then grease a loaf pan and set it to the side.
Using a large mixing bowl, add the mashed banana and pumpkin puree. Beat together.
Add in the butter and oil and combine thoroughly. Then add in sugar and combine completely.
Next, add in eggs and vanilla extract and mix well.
In a separate smaller bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin spice. Stir the dry ingredients until they are well combined.
Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the large bowl. Stir wet and dry ingredients together well until no dry spots remain.
Add in the chocolate chips and stir to combine. (sorry – I forgot to take a picture of this part!)
Pour batter into the greased, prepared loaf pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Let it cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe Notes And Tips
- Use a light-colored loaf pan to ensure that the sides of the pumpkin banana bread do not get too brown during baking.
- The best size of loaf pan is a 9-inch by 5-inch. If you use a smaller one, it will likely overflow out of the pan.
- Room-temperature eggs will mix better and help the batter rise more easily.
- As your bread is baking and you notice that the top is getting too brown and the baking time is not finished yet, you can tent a piece of aluminum foil and place it over the top and continue baking.
- Very ripe or over-ripe bananas with brown spots on the peeling will work best in this recipe.
Variations Of Pumpkin Banana Bread To Try
- Chopped, dried cranberries or apricots are delicious add-ins to consider.
- If you want a little added crunch and texture, toss in some chopped walnuts, pecans, or even a few pepitas or pumpkin seeds. YUM
- Use salted butter, whipped cream cheese, or honey butter to spread on the bread. Any of these are fantastically yummy choices. 😉
- Sprinkle the top of the entire loaf with sea salt or powdered sugar.
- Instead of making large loaves of bread, try turning this easy recipe into mini loaves or even pumpkin banana muffins – they’re perfect for portion control or sharing! They also make cute (and tasty!) gifts for friends and new neighbors!
If you want to use sweeteners other than white sugar, you could use:
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Light brown sugar
- Organic cane sugar
- Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Banana Bread FAQs
Do you have questions about our Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe? If you have a question and don’t see it already answered below, please leave it for me in the comments!
You can store this bread at room temperature in an airtight container or storage bag for up to 3 – 4 days or in the fridge for about a week.
This bread freezes beautifully. I would recommend that you allow it to cool completely, wrap in one layer of plastic wrap and the outside layer of aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. It can be kept frozen for up to 2 – 3 months.
Once you remove it from the freezer, allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Great question! I don’t typically use it very much. Instead of making a special purchase, you can simply use 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Easy peasy!!!
Basically, there is no difference between pumpkin puree and canned pumpkin. They are the exact same thing. You may also see the term solid-pack pumpkin, which is also the same thing.
Make sure that you do NOT use pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling contains all the spices mixed into the puree to make a pie.
Yes! All you have to do is substitute a gf flour mixture for the flour in this recipe to make gluten-free pumpkin banana bread. You could also use coconut flour or almond flour if you want a boost of protein.
More Delicious Baked Goods Recipes To Try
If you love this recipe for a moist loaf pumpkin banana bread, check out these other ultra-satisfying recipes!
- Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Addictively Delicious Banana Protein Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Pound Cake
- Pear Apple Streusel Muffins
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Cookies
Pumpkin Banana Bread
Perfectly moist and packed with flavor, Pumpkin Banana Bread offers the perfect balance between rich pumpkin and sweet mashed bananas.
- 2/3 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the mashed banana and pumpkin puree.
- Beat in the butter and oil until completely combined, followed by the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat until no dry spots remain.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 55-70 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
The post Easy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Banana Bread Recipe appeared first on Made In A Pinch.