This Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe is the perfect combination of tender chicken chunks, crisp vegetables, and creamy dressing. It strikes the ideal balance between tangy and sweet flavors, making it an absolute crowd-pleaser.
Chicken salad is a timeless classic that never fails to satisfy our taste buds. The perfect combination of tender Chicken, crunchy celery and onion, and creamy dressing creates a dish that is both refreshing and satisfying.
While many people may choose to purchase the store-bought versions, nothing quite compares to the homemade version, where you have full control over the ingredients and can tailor it to your own personal preference.
This is a GREAT recipe that delivers a basic and consistently delicious chicken salad – and it’s easily customizable!
I will be the first to tell you that I have purchased the pre-made chicken salad more times than I care to admit. While it may be an easy solution to preparing a quick meal, it will never beat the few extra minutes it takes to whip up a batch of my own.
This easy Chicken Salad Recipe is prepared with fresh ingredients and only a few extra minutes to prepare. It is most certainly worth the extra time in order to have a nutritious meal made for my family.
Our homemade chicken salad recipe will become your go-to for any occasion – be it a light lunch or a crowd-pleasing party appetizer. And it makes the BEST chicken salad sandwich!
Get ready to elevate your culinary skills as we dive into the world of deliciousness with this classic chicken salad recipe!
If you want more quick and easy chicken recipes, try my:
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Gouda and Grilled Chicken Salad
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe
The best recipes use simple ingredients, and this one is no exception! Here’s what you’ll need to gather to make this easy recipe.
- Mayonnaise – regular or light
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Cooked chicken – shredded or diced
- Crisp celery – diced into small pieces
- Red Onion – diced
- Fresh grapes – sliced red grapes
How to Make Homemade Chicken Salad
Add mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
Stir in the chicken and mix until well-coated.
Mix in celery, onion, and grapes until thoroughly combined.
Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
How To Serve The Best Chicken Salad Recipe
This delicious salad. is perfect by itself! OR if you want to add some variety, try these ideas:
- As a classic chicken salad sandwich
- With crackers
- On a bed of lettuce or other greens
- Finger sandwiches – great for appetizers!
- Inside a mini bread bowl
- Serve with veggies like, a veggie tray, Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks, or Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- As a side dish for a salad like this Easy Layered Brunch Salad
- Serve with potato chips or Air Fryer Apple Chips
Simple Chicken Salad Recipe Notes And Tips
- Leftover rotisserie chicken (store-bought rotisserie chicken works great) or grilled chicken are two of my favorites to use in this recipe. You can use canned chicken, but fresh is always best. 🙂
- Before adding chicken to the mayonnaise mixture, be sure the chicken is completely cool and chopped into bite-size pieces.
- I prefer a sweet onion in my chicken salad, so I frequently use a Vidalia onion if I don’t have a red onion. Green onions are also a delicious replacement or addition.
- For best results, chill the chicken salad before serving or chill the chicken before assembling the salad.
Variations Of This Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe To Try
Want a little change from our traditional chicken salad recipe? Transform this classic recipe into a work of genius with these ideas!
- Add chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts for added crunch and flavor.
- Add a splash of lemon juice for extra tang.
- Replace the grapes with dried cranberries, dried cherries, or diced apples – or add them all if you so desire.
- Baguettes and bagels are my favorite things to serve the chicken salad on but rolls, sandwich bread (chicken salad sandwiches.- yum!), or a lettuce wrap for a delicious low carb option.
- Add some fresh herbs for extra flavor! Some delicious options include parsley, fresh dill, thyme, chives, basil, cilantro, and tarragon.
- Serve this salad with butter-round crackers as an appetizer or snack.
- Serve chicken salad over a bed of lettuce or a variety of veggies such as sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach, or an avocado.
- Chopped-up hard-boiled eggs are a delicious addition!
- If you prefer a little extra seasoning in addition to salt and pepper, grab the garlic powder, onion powder, or a little Everything But The Bagel seasoning.
If you’ve never tried a homemade chicken salad recipe, you may have a question or two! Here are some of the questions I see readers ask most often.
If you keep the chicken salad in an airtight container, it will last in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days (maybe even 5) without any problems.
This homemade chicken salad recipe will not freeze well since it contains mayonnaise. Mayonnaise can be frozen but freezing and thawing will change the texture.
You can prepare and freeze the chicken, so when you are ready to make the chicken salad, all you have to do is thaw when ready to combine all ingredients.
That is a great question! Some people just don’t care for mayonnaise (or have it on hand), so a great option for you might be plain Greek yogurt or sour cream. Both are creamy and flavorful, but they will lend a different flavor to your homemade chicken salad. 😉
Be sure to use plain yogurt and not a flavored variety for a healthy chicken salad option.
Simply add in just a little more mayonnaise or Greek yogurt to bring the chicken salad to the desired amount of moisture.
More Delicious Main Dish Chicken Recipes To Try
If know if you try it, you’ll be convinced this will become your FAVORITE chicken salad recipe! Here are some more delicious recipes I know you’ll love.
- Easy Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Chicken and Rice Enchiladas
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Skillet Weeknight Dinner
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Flatbread
- Juicy Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Homemade Chicken Salad
Homemade Chicken Salad recipe has tender chicken, crisp veggies, and creamy dressing to strike the ideal balance between tangy and sweet.
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion - or use green onions
- 1 cup sliced grapes, or less to taste
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the chicken in the dressing until well-coated.
- Stir in the diced celery, onion, and grapes until well-distributed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The post The Best Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe With Grapes appeared first on Made In A Pinch.