Turkey Veggie Rainbow Pinwheels are a fantastic idea for a back-to-school lunch box idea. They are also perfect for preschool snacks, days at the park, road trips, or family reunions.
It is hard to believe, but the new school year will start SOON. I hope your kiddos are looking forward to being back at school working hard and being with their friends.
I know after the crazy past year and a half we’ve had, mine are more excited to go back to school than they ever have been!
Our local schools are a mixed bag when it comes to school lunches. My kids really prefer to take their own lunch to school – they get more to eat and get to enjoy their favorite flavors.
These Turkey Rainbow Pinwheels are a perfect school lunch idea. They’re packed with fresh vegetables, deli meat, and savory ranch-flavored cream cheese. Yum!
Add some fresh fruit such as blueberries, mandarin oranges, or a cup of applesauce to their lunch box for a healthy, satisfying meal.
This super easy recipe is perfect for so many other events as well! Try them as:
- appetizers at your next dinner party
- after school snack
- quick bite as you are running out the door for sports practices
Regardless of the event, your family and friends will love these healthy bites filled with fresh, raw veggies, deli meat with the added zing of ranch dressing.
If you like these delicious bite-size morsels, you might also like to try my Rainbow Jello Squares, Instant Pot Mini Turtle Cheesecake Bites, or Peanut Butter, Nutella & Banana Sushi Rolls.
Ingredients Needed For Rainbow Pinwheels
Here’s everything you’ll need for this recipe. If you buy tortillas in bulk, you can freeze the extras until you’re ready to use them.
- Spinach Wraps – low carb, low carb tortilla or flour tortilla all work well
- Cream Cheese – room temperature is best before mixing
- Dry Ranch Powder – use the zesty variety for a little more zip
- Red, Orange, and Yellow Bell Pepper Strips
- Colby Jack Cheese – Shredded cheese is works best and use the kind you like best
- Spinach Leaves – remove extra moisture with a paper towel before adding to spinach wrap
- Purple Cabbage – adds a great crunch and a beautiful pop of color
- Oven Roasted Deli Turkey – honey ham, chicken breast or roast beef are delicious substitutes
How to Make Rainbow Pinwheels
Making Pinwheels is super easy! Here’s how to make these.
Combine cream cheese and dry ranch powder mix in a small mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
Lay out the 4 spinach wraps. Spread 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture onto the wrap covering the wrap to 1/2 inch from the edge.
To make the Rainbow effect, spread out the remaining ingredients on top of the cream cheese mixture in the following order: red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, Colby jack cheese, turkey, spinach, and red cabbage.
Tightly roll up each tortilla. Wrap the rolled spinach wrap in plastic cling wrap and chill. Chill until ready to slice or at least 1 hour.
Slice into 1-inch pinwheels and place in a lunch box or on a serving tray.
Rainbow Pinwheels Recipe Notes And Tips
- Be sure you use a very sharp knife when cutting your pinwheels. This will ensure that you get a nice crisp cut and the pinwheels don’t get squishy and flat as you slice them.
- It is important to make sure the bell peppers are thinly sliced. The wrap will roll better if the ingredients are not too think and bulky.
- If the wrap is a little bit too stiff, just give put it in the microwave for about 10 – 12 seconds to warm it up a little and make it more pliable.
Variations Of Rainbow Pinwheels To Try
Here are a few substitutions or additions to make these pinwheels even more delicious….if that is even possible.
- Change up the veggies by using mushrooms, broccoli, onions, olives, tomatoes, zucchini spirals or cucumbers.
- Add finely chopped jalapenos to your wrap if you like a little heat.
- Use crumbled bacon or bacon bits for added flavor. YUMMMM!
- Pick a flavored cream cheese to use instead of plain such as Chive & Onion, Pineapple, Garden Vegetable or Spicy Jalapeno.
Can I make the Rainbow Pinwheels the day before serving them?
Definitely! I would suggest that you make the Rainbow Pinwheels no sooner than 18 – 24 hours in advance.
You can assemble the pinwheels the night before and refrigerate them. Giving the pinwheels time to chill will actually allow it to firm up. This will also make the tortillas easier to slice.
How long will the pinwheels stay fresh?
They will keep for up to 4 – 5 days in the refrigerator. The best way to store them is in an air-tight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
Can I freeze the rainbow pinwheels and for how long?
Freezing is a great option for these pinwheels. They can be kept frozen for up to 2 months. You can freeze before slicing or after slicing the tortilla.
Do I have to add meat to my rainbow pinwheels?
Of course not! You can make them vegetarian pinwheels by only adding fresh vegetables. These are perfect to experiment with and decide what flavors and ingredients you like best.
More Grab And Go Recipes to Try
- Charcuterie In A Jar: The Savory Jarcuterie
- Ice Cream Cakesicles
- Cat in the Hat DIY Dr. Seuss Hat Snack
- No-Bake Energy Ball
Pin For Later!
Turkey Rainbow Pinwheels
These delicious turkey and veggie rainbow pinwheels are the perfect lunchbox meal idea - and they're super quick to make!
- 4 large spinach wraps
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp dry ranch powder
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper strips, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper strips, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper strips, thinly sliced
- 1 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 8 slices oven roasted deli turkey
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and dry ranch powder mix and stir until mixed well.
- On each of the 4 spinach wraps, spread 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture onto each wrap. Spread the mixture to about 1/2 inch from the edge.
- To make the "rainbow" lay out each of the remaining ingredients in the following order: red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, colby jack cheese, turkey spinach and finally red cabbage.
- Roll each tortilla tightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until ready to slice.
- Slice into 1 inch pinwheels place in lunchbox or serve immediately.
The post Lunch Bunch Idea: Rainbow Pinwheels appeared first on Made In A Pinch.