Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps are the ideal light and easy weeknight meal. These wraps assemble quickly and will provide you with a filling meal so you can enjoy the rest of the evening with your family.
When I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is try to think of something for dinner. If you are like me, you are always on the lookout for a recipe that is filling and tasty yet doesn’t take a lot of time to get on the table.
These Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps are just that. All you have to do is get the chicken in the slow cooker and set it to low in the morning before you leave. Or if you come home for lunch, pop them in the slow cooker and turn it on high for the afternoon.
Either way, when you come home from work, all you have to do is shred the chicken. From there, it is quick and simple…..mix together the rest of the ingredients and you’ve got yourself a healthy, hearty meal prepared for your family that they are going to LOVE!
If you like the “make it yourself” type recipes, you might enjoy our Taco Cups with Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce, Peanut Butter, Nutella, and Banana Sushi Rolls, or Nutella S’mores.
Ingredients Needed for Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Breasts – trim the fat off and wash thoroughly.
- Teriyaki Marinade – the original flavor is the best option at least for your first try with this recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper – the red bell pepper is the sweetest of all the bell pepper varieties.
- Navel Orange
- Sesame Oil – adds an earthy and nutty flavor.
- Water Chestnuts – high in fiber, low in calories, contain no fat, and rich in vitamins and healthy antioxidants.
- Romaine Lettuce Hearts – the romaine leaves work well when making wraps.
- Salted Roasted Peanuts
- Thai Sweet Chili Sauce – a sweet, spicy, and tangy flavor.
How To Make Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Here’s how you make these delicious Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Place raw chicken breasts into a 6 quart slow cooker. Pour 1 cup water and 1/4 cup teriyaki marinade over the chicken.
Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or high for 3 – 4 hours.
Shred the chicken when it is done cooking.
Using a large wok pan, add the diced pepper and shredded chicken. Grate the outside peel of the navel orange over the chicken using a microplane or grater.
Cut the orange in half and squeeze both halves over the chicken mixture.
Pour 2 tbsp of the sesame oil over the chicken mixture.
Start by pouring 1 cup of the reserved juice from the slow cooker over the chicken mixture. Add an additional 1/2 cup if the mixture is still too dry.
After draining the canned water chestnuts, add them to the wok pan.
Mix all ingredients completely and cook over medium heat until bell pepper is tender.
Using the romaine lettuce heart, place the chicken mixture on a leaf. Top with crushed peanuts and drizzle with Thai sweet chili sauce.
Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe Notes and Tips
Here are a few tips to ensure that this recipe turns out perfectly every time!
- Trim the fat off of the chicken breasts before placing them in slow cooker. This will help save time during the shredding process.
- Assemble the wraps only in the quantities that you are going to serve them. Or let your family and guests assemble their own. Assembled wraps do not keep well in the fridge as the lettuce will become soft and wilty.
- Dice the peppers and zest the orange ahead of time. This will save you a lot of time later when you prepare the chicken mixture.
Variations of Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps Try
- If you would like a more vegetarian type wrap, try using mushrooms instead of chicken.
- Pineapple would be an interesting substitute for the red bell pepper. Or a compliment to the red pepper if you like to think outside of the box.
- Cashews are a great option instead of peanuts. Cashews are high in fiber and low in sugar.
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers you may have when making these Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps.
Should I wash the romaine lettuce prior to using it?
Definitely! I always suggest washing vegetables and produce before consuming. It is best to wash the leaves as soon as you get home from the store. Gently shake to dry, wrap in a paper towel, and place in an air-tight bag until ready to use.
What is the best way to crush the peanuts?
The quickest, easiest way would be to use a blender or food processor. Or you could put the peanuts in a storage bag and tap with a wooden rolling pin. They will not be finely crushed but you may prefer it that way.
Can I use iceberg lettuce instead of romaine?
Yes, of course! Gently peel leaves off the head so they remain large like a wrap. Wash, gently shake, wrap in a paper towel and keep in the fridge until ready to use. Replace the towel if it becomes too damp to prevent the lettuce from getting slimy.
How long will my Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps keep in the fridge?
If your lettuce wraps are not assembled with the filling on the lettuce leaf, the two separate parts will keep for up to 3 – 5 days in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
More Delicious and Healthy Dishes
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Summer Veggies
- Using Spaghetti Squash as “Noodles”
- Healthy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Apple Cranberry Coleslaw
Pin For Later!
Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Tasty and easy to make, what more could you want? This recipe will be a hit with the entire family!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, trimmed (approx 3 - 4 chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup teriyaki marinade
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup reserved juice from slow cooker
- 1 can water chestnuts, diced
- Romaine lettuce hearts
- Salted roasted peanuts, crushed
- Thai sweet chili sauce
- 6 qt slow cooker
- Large wok pan
- In 6 qt slow cooker, add the raw chicken breasts. Pour 1/4 cup teriyaki marinade and 1 cup water over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on his for 3 - 4 hours or 6 - 8 hours on low.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken.
- In a large wok pan, add red bell pepper and shredded chicken.
- With a grater or microplane, grate the outside peel of the orange over the chicken and bell pepper mixture.
- . Cut orange in half and squeeze the juice from both halves over chicken mixture.
- Pour 2 tbsp of sesame oil over the chicken mixture.
- Using the reserved juice from the slow cooker, start by pouring 1 cups over the chicken mixture. Add an additional 1/2 cup if the mixture is too dry.
- Drain the water chestnuts and add to wok pan. Mix all ingredients well and cook over medium heat until bell peppers are tender.
- Put chicken mixture in romaine lettuce heart. Top with crushed peanuts. Drizzle with thai sweet chili sauce.
- Serve and ENJOY!
The post Orange Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps appeared first on Made In A Pinch.