A Red, White, and Blue Trifle is the perfect patriotic or summer dessert! Layers of pound cake, fresh berries, and fresh whipped cream come together to create the ultimate satisfying dessert!
The 4th of July is a day to celebrate everything red, white and Blue, and to show how proud we are of our heritage and the journey we have been on.
Fresh Berry Trifle is such a delicious dessert and a traditional classic. It’s basically a richer version of my healthy Berry Cheesecake Parfaits.
This red, white, and Blue Trifle is loaded with fresh strawberries and fabulous blueberries, all brought together with layers of soft sponge cake and cream. It’s a delectable delight that everyone will love!
This berry trifle is perfect for any occasion but is really made for celebrating the 4th of July. Serve it alongside my festive patriotic red, white, and blue vanilla fudge!
Let’s prepare this delicious patriotic, summery dessert!
Ingredients Needed For This Red, White, And Blue Trifle Recipe
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make this festive, delicious dessert!
- Pound cake – for the sponge element of the trifle. Could also use Angel Food Cake, but pound cake gives the trifle its rich flavor.
- Strawberries and blueberries – this will create the red and blue effect of the trifle. I recommend using fresh berries instead of frozen ones.
- Whipped cream – the white part of the trifle, you can use store-bought Reddiwhip or homemade whipped cream.
How To Make A Red, White, And Blue Trifle
Follow along to these ingredients – this berry trifle will come together quickly and easily!
- Start with the cake and cut it into slices and then in cubes.
- Grab a trifle dish or very large clear servicing bowl. Put a layer of pound cake in at the bottom.
- Next, add a layer of cool whip.
- Add a layer of strawberries and blueberries.
- Repeat the process and finish by adding cool whip and berries to the top to garnish and decorate. Get creative with a fancy design or just sprinkle them randomly. They’re both beautiful!
- Let your trifle set by placing it in the refrigerator before serving.
Recipe Notes And Tips
This is a dessert perfect for summer and is the ideal recipe to make ahead of time. Make this in the morning before you need it or even the night before. You can then leave it to stay cool in the refrigerator.
Make your own pound cake or save yourself the time and buy one from the deli. Want something a little lighter? Use Angel Food Cake instead!
Variation To Try
There are so many different variations of this recipe that you can make it your own!
Want a different take on red, white, and blue trifle? Use any sweet ingredients that are red, white, and blue and layer them up. For example, try using strawberries, cherries, and raspberries if they are in season to make this trifle full of different berry tastes.
Add a cheesecake layer: if you want to take this red, white, and blue trifle over the top, mix in a package of cream cheese with the middle layer of whipped cream. Yum, oh yum!
Add lemon extract: add some lemon extract to the cake or whipped cream to make a light, citrus undertone.
Make it sweeter: If you want it to be sweeter you could add a drizzle of honey.
Make it adult-friendly: add a little of your favorite liquor to the sponge layers. The sponge will soak up the alcohol. Make sure you only sprinkle a little.
Here are some common questions I see readers ask about this red, white, and blue trifle recipe…and their answers.
Could you use frozen berries instead?
Yes, you could choose to use frozen berries instead of fresh ones.
Note: You may find that as the fruit defrosts it might not give you a firm texture as a fresh berry would, but if you are happy for that then it shouldn’t make a difference.
How long will this red, white, and blue trifle last?
Unfortunately, it won’t last too long. The cake will soak up the moisture from the fruit and whipped cream and become soggy.
If you can’t use up the entire dish the day you make it, store it in an airtight container for up to 1 day. And even then, you may notice that the cake will be a little on the soggy side.
More Summer Desserts You’ll Love
If you love this red, white, and blue trifle, you’ll also love these other summery desserts!
- How To Make Cheesecake Strawberry Poke Cake
- Very Best Fresh Berry Chantilly Cake
- Caramel Apple Wrap (TikTok Tortilla Wrap Hack)
- Heavenly, Scrumptious No-Bake Chocolate Lasagna
- Satisfying, Healthy, No-Bake Berry Cheesecake Parfait
Pin For Later!
Red White & Blue Trifle
This light, summery dessert is bursting with flavor and fresh berries and comes together in just minutes. Make it for your next cookout or get-together!
- 1 pound cake
- 2 quarts Strawberries
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 cool whip
- You can make your own pound cake or just buy one from the deli to make it easy. Then cut it into slices and then in cubes.
- Then in a trifle dish put a layer of pound cake.
- Second a layer of cool whip.
- Then strawberries and blueberries.
- Finish with cool whip and berries on top.
The post Berrylicious Red, White, and Blue Trifle appeared first on Made In A Pinch.