I felt I needed a little sunshine today. Winter decided she wasn't quite finished with us in my part of the world. Coffee, good news stories and not stepping a foot outside my house when it's below forty. My trifecta for dealing with the cold as my blood thins out and I get "old-er-ish". Grab a mug. Grab the Kleenex. Bundle up. Let's Grind.
Every morning, my son asks me to give him a new trivia fact. I failed him yesterday. Not today. Five of these are true*. One...hmmm...maybe not so much.
CAN YOU SPOT THE IMPOSTOR?
The offspring of a polar bear and a grizzly bear is called a "pizzly bear".
Most adult cats are lactose intolerant.
Wearing jeans is illegal in North Korea.
Policemen in Grenada wear their Twitter handle on their uniform.
Nostophobia is the fear of going home.
Ostriches put their heads in the ground because they have low self-esteem & are threatened by eye contact.
- "On Friday night, after four years of CYO basketball together, the nine boys and two girls on the St. John's 5th grade team had to make a decision: Play without the girls or give up the rest of the season." The phrase "kids will be kids" often gets a bad rap. This is the story of what happened when these kids voted to forfeit their season.
- If I could have any job, it might be Steve Hartman's cameraman:
- Where does the USA rank on this list of The 14 countries that are the most optimistic about the future. I'll give you a hint...it's NOT #1.
- A group of German students started a little organization to "create more humanity through good deeds in our daily lives." They named themselves after the first initials of the four founders names (J.A.P.Y.) but in German, "Japy“ sounds a lot like "happy“… thus "Be Japy!“ Here's their full mission statement followed by a video of their work in action:
We are a community that creates more Humanity through good deeds in our daily lives. With global networking, we inspire each other, and create a WE that activates and motivates itself.
Through small acts in daily life we not only make people happy but also create a positive experience, surprises and more humanity. We do not just talk about it, we do it! In short: We spread Japyness.
It doesn’t matter where you come from, how old you are or what religion you belong to. Our actions focus on the people. You can take part in it with very simple means and become part of our community.
A good deed not only makes the helped person happy but also the person who is helping. Doing good makes happy. No single person can make our world a better place in just one day. But the sum of many individual acts has the power to set the wheels in motion. Let’s ensure more humanity together!
BE JAPY . ORG
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
- It was a little thing that meant so much to her. She thought it was lost forever. Until it wasn't.
- "10 Things You Can Do When You Think Life Sucks"
- Debbie Bolton. She's not an Avenger. She's not Tom Brady or LeBron James. Or a supermodel. But she did this which makes her a hero to me.
- Ellen gives her single biggest gift to date:
- Dani over at Positively Present has some great step-by-step advice on how to declutter and get organized just in time for spring.
- Speaking of spring, baseball baby! Who doesn't love a good prank. In this video, Chicago Cubs All-Star Kris Bryant gets tricked by Hall of Fame Pitcher Greg Maddux:
- More good news, CBS' The Amazing Race returns March 30th and the show's 29th season features a cast like no other in its long history.
- Amazon is expanding its beer and wine buying options because putting on pants to go to the liquor store is too much work.
- Could there be better news than this? Flying cars could be a reality in seven to ten years:
- Flying cars would be really cool in the near future, but sadly, in the immediate future it looks like station wagons are making a big comeback.
- "Station wagon" seems like it should be a "retronym". Jawn, Lickspittle, Retronym, Sesquipedalian and a few other weird and wonderful words you should work into your vocabulary.
...The Last Drop
You've probably cried a little at some point during this post. Now, let the cast of The Office balance things out with some laughs.
[*Actually, ostriches rarely put their head in the ground, but when they do it's not because they're shy; it's because they're looking for water under the ground.]
Grind #110 :: Good Vibes, Be Kind, Laugh And Cry ~ Fin.