A tracking Number allows you to follow the delivery of a package as it’s being shipped. If you’re in a situation where you don’t have a tracking number, many of the major package delivery companies now have free tools that allow you to track your package online without one. To use these tools, you’ll have to visit the company’s website and register for an account. Once you make your account, it’s just a matter of logging in and finding the correct package based on other shipping details.
EditFinding Packages with UPS My Choice
- Register for UPS My Choice. Visit https://www.ups.com/mychoice/features/. My Choice will allow you to track packages being sent through UPS. Decide on whether you want the free membership or premium membership for $40 a year. Click on the yellow “Continue” button on the bottom of the membership you want. Once you are on the registration page, fill in your personal details and verify your address.
- The free version of My Choice will let you track your packages without a tracking number.
- A premium membership will allow you to change the recipient's address and to change the date of delivery.
- Login to https://www.ups.com. Visit the UPS website and click “Login” on the top of the page. Enter the details that you used when you registered your account and click "Log In."
- Click the “Tracking” tab on the top of the page. Once you’ve logged in, you can view all pending packages by clicking the “Tracking” tab at the top of the page. This will show you a list of all the packages that are being sent and received by UPS to or from your address.
- UPS will associate any packages using your address to your account so that you can track them.
- Find the package you want to track and click on its tracking number link. This will bring you to a new page that will display details on where it last was and where it is now.
EditTracking USPS Packages with Informed Delivery
- Sign up for Informed Delivery on the USPS website. Visit https://reg.usps.com/entreg/RegistrationAction_input. Fill out the form with your personal information and address. Creating an account will give you access to a variety of USPS tools, including online tracking for select packages that you send or receive through USPS.
- Sign in and go to your dashboard. Click “Track and Manage” at the top of the screen, then scroll down to “My USPS.” This page is your dashboard and will have a list of all of the packages you’ve received or sent in the last 2 weeks.
- USPS will display any packages that are currently en route to or from the address you used to register your account.
- Click on the package you want to track. Clicking on the package will bring up additional details, including where it currently is, and the post office where the package last was.
- You can use your dashboard to keep track of a package, even if you no longer have the tracking number or there is no tracking number associated with the package.
- Submit a search request if your package is lost. If a package hasn’t been delivered within 7 days of the estimated delivery date, you can submit a search request and have USPS look for the package. Go to https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm and click “Start Your Missing Mail Search.” You’ll have to provide the sender and receiver's address, the size of the package, and other identifying information.
EditUsing FedEx Delivery Manager
- Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager. Go to https://www.fedex.com/apps/fdmenrollment/. Fill out the form and sign up for a FedEx Delivery Manager account. You’ll have to provide your personal information and a valid address.
- To validate your identity you'll have to enter personal details and answer security questions.
- Login to the portal and find the package you want to track. Once you sign up, visit http://www.fedex.com/ and click “Log In” to sign into the Delivery Manager. You’ll be directed to a portal that will allow you to track packages being sent and received. Check under “status” for the package you are tracking to determine where it is.
- When you sign up for the Delivery Manager, you can also change the time of day when the shipment will arrive or turn on delivery notifications.
- Track with the door tag number instead of using the Delivery Manager. The door tag number can be found on your shipment details/itinerary and usually starts with a DT and is followed by 12 numbers. This number can be used as an alternative to your tracking number. Visit https://www.fedex.com/en-us/home.html. Go to the tracking part of the page and type in the door tag number.
- If you’re tracking your office inside of the U.S., you can also provide another number known as the FedEx Office number to track your package. This number can also be found on your shipping itinerary.