A Something Different Recipe
Developed by Dana Jacobi
Keep it light and fresh this week with a cooling Raita. This simple condiment is made with just 4 main ingredients — radishes, cucumber, yogurt and spices. Radishes are cruciferous vegetables rich in vitamin C and anthocyanins while cucumbers contain vitamin K. Use it on hot kebabs, herbed flatbread, or as an easy side dip.
Makes 6 servings. Yield: about 1 1/2 cups.
Per Serving: 28 calories, 1 g total fat (
- 2 large radishes, quartered and thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup
- 1 small Persian cucumber, quartered lengthwise, thinly sliced, about 1/2 cup*
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Set raita aside 10 minutes to let flavors develop. Raita will become a bit thinner.
* If Persian cucumber is not available use 5-inch piece seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise, scooped out and finely chopped.
Courtesy of aicr.org.