Today’s recipe is this Gluten free almond and cherry traybake. I love cherries in cake, I think they are so delicious and really help to hold the crumb together. Traybakes are also so versatile, you can literally throw whatever you want in there. But for today, I thought almonds and cherries were a nice combination. This went down a treat and is great for sharing over a cup of tea. Recipe below!
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 200g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (I am using Doves Farm)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder (GF)
- 100g Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of Almond or Vanilla Extract (depending on which you prefer!)
- 125ml Milk
- 200g (1 pot) Glacé Cherries
- Flaked Almonds 50g (approx)
- Icing Sugar (a sprinkle for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a square (approx 23cm / 9 inch) shallow baking tray.
- Stir together the ground almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the dry mixture. Rub the butter in with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs, or alternatively, use a food processer to get the same result. Once you have it all combined, stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl (I just use a measuring jug) beat the milk, egg and extract together before gradually adding it into the dry mixture, beating well until full combined. It is easiest to use an electric whisk for this. Do not worry if the mixture looks slightly lumpy at first, this will even out.
- Once combined add in half the cherries and stir well. Tip the mixture into the baking tray and sprinkle the remaining cherries and almond flakes evenly across the top.
- Pop it in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when poked through it.
- Leave to cool and harden slightly before removing from the tray, cutting into squares and sprinkling with icing sugar.
You could ice this cake, or add any additional ingredients you fancy. Traybakes are easy and delicious, I will most definitely be trying out / creating other gluten free versions.
I hope you like this recipe! As always, stay tuned for more!