There is a local Italian restaurant close to where I live that serves the most amazing looking Pasta dishes, including one in a creamy white wine sauce. I was inspired, so decided to create my own gluten free version at home. This was surprisingly easy to make with only a few ingredients and just a couple of simple steps… oh and not a lot of washing up! This is a perfect week night dinner, sometimes you just can’t beat a bit of creamy comfort food! This recipe is suitable for vegetarians, however it also works well with chicken through it.
Ingredients (for 2-3 people)
- Gluten free pasta – enough for 2 people (I am using Sainsburys own penne)
- 3-4 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 white onion
- 200g mushrooms (sliced)
- 200ml double cream
- 500ml chicken or vegetable stock (double check it is gluten free, I am using Knorrs brand)
- Half a glass of white wine
- 1 handful grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat up a splash of olive oil in a large high sided pan, add the mushrooms and onion and fry on a medium heat until just soft.
- Add the stock, double cream and white wine to the pan and stir well. Next throw in the pasta, place on the lid (leave slightly skew to let some air though) and allow to simmer on a medium heat until the pasta is cooked, stirring occaisionally (it usually takes just over 10 minutes for the pasta to cook).
- Add in the parmesan and spinach, stir until the leaves have wilted and serve. I like to finish mine with a grind of black pepper.
I like how the wine can give this dish an extra bite and depth of flavour. Be careful not to add too much parmesan as it can become too rich and quite overpowering… so a little goes a long way!
I hope you like this recipe!!