Did you know that your fingernail health can show you how strong or weak your bones are? Those with weaker bone density actually have weaker fingernails as well. Whether you are looking to increase your bone and Nail health or you just want more fabulous nails, here are some foods to incorporate into your diet:
- Salmon contains a lot of vitamin B12, which helps your nails become strong. It also contains Vitamin D and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eggs also contain Vitamin D and protein which helps strengthen fingernails are a more digestible protein than meats. They also contain Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, iron and biotin. Biotin has specifically been shown to increase fingernail thickness and reduce splitting and brittle nails.
- Beans also contain biotin which help increase nail strength.
- Oats contain copper, zinc, silicon, manganese and B-complex vitamins. All of these help keep your nails strong and healthy looking.
- Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are a good source of magnesium, manganese, copper, Vitamin B6, zinc and Vitamin E. All of these minerals and vitamins help keep your nails healthy. Sprinkle some in your salad.
- Green peas. Green round peas contain beta-carotene, Vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids. These help with fingernail strength and growth.
Remember if you have dull nails, you might have a folate deficiency. Eat more folate-rich foods like beans and spinach. If you have brittle or flaky nails, include more fatty acids in your diet. Adding ground flaxseed to cereal or smoothies is a great way to start. If you have soft nails, you need more quality proteins. If you have weak nails that break easily, you need more iron in your diet. Try to pair iron-rich foods with Vitamin C-rich foods to help the body absorb the iron. If your nails are dry, rub a little olive oil around them at night.
Do you have any nail issues? Did you know that you can use food to strengthen or grow your nails? If you have any problems eating these foods, you can also try vitamins or supplements. See a doctor before you try a new supplement regime.