Protecting your Heart just can’t be done by cutting down on salty foods and fats. Sugar is known to be the biggest cause of many disease such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, dementia, cancer and liver failure. Among them heart attack is the one that is mainly caused due to high intake of sugar.
Sugar from eating whole foods isn’t harmful. While, added sugars during making and processing of various sugar-sweetened beverages and foods are the main culprit that contribute heart attacks. There are many food and drinks containing added sugars that are the biggest source of sugar calories in the diet. These are soft drinks, beverages, juices, soda, sports drink, candies, tea, chocolate, coffee, etc.
What Types Of Sugar Don’t Harm?
· Lactose (type of sugar)that is found naturally in milk & other dairy products.
· Fructose (type of sugar) that is found in fruit. Also Fructose- the sugar found in fruits can be harmful when consumed in high concentrations.
The fiber in the fruit lets you fill up your stomach-slowing down your digestion-and thus help in preventing any instant blood sugar spike. Fruit being good source to fight off disease for it vitamins and antioxidants content is also beneficial in many ways.
· Sugar obtained from eating whole food.
Sugar Strains Heart Muscle
Increasing your calorie intake by adding more of carbohydrates and sugar content in your diet can strain your heart muscle. Added sugar tend to worsen the case and can make you gain weight that directly cause damage to the heart. Obese people have high levels of an enzyme which indicates heart muscle to be injured.
If you’re healthy, your heart surgeon may advise you for Valve Replacement surgery having high success rate and very low risk of other problems. Otherwise, replacement heart is an option.
Also Read: 9 Small Steps To A Healthy Heart With Saffolalife #ChhoteKadam
5 Things To Help You Cut Down Sugar And Take Good Heart Care:
Sugar is known by 70 different names. Hence, it’s quite essential that you read the ingredients list of all packaged food you are about to buy. Few names that sugar are known by- beet sugar, sucrose, brown rice syrup, barley malt, cane juice, agave, etc.
1. Avoid buying flavored foods as they often have “sugar added.” Hence, consuming plain versions of anything like curd, milk, juices, etc. keeps you on a safer side and you exactly get to know the amount of sugar that will be consumed. Alternatively, you can also add flavor to your food with some whole fruit or by adding toppings.
2. Say NO to all drinks that contain added sugars. Thus, start limiting your beverages such as iced tea, soda, fruit punch and lemonade. You can add some really healthy drinks such as kokum serbat, chaas and nimbu paani.
3. Juices and smoothies can also be the culprit as they tend to add more sugar load than just eating the whole-fruit.
4. Cut down on your condiments like sauces, pickles, flavored vinegars, honey mustards, oyster sauce that contain sweetener.
5. Adding herbs and spices not only makes your food flavorful but also make them low-calorie. Add some sweet spices such as cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, nutmeg and ginger that also helps in regulating the blood sugar levels & lower AGEs (Advanced Glycated Endproducts) amount.
*** Patients who have recently had Heart Surgery, heart operation or heart attack must also limit sugar and red meat in their diet.
For more info on this visit – Manipal Hospitals
Hope the article was informative about Types of Sugar and Heart Disease. Do leave your comments on this.