So today is basically my favourite day of the year, National Lipstick Day, and what better way to celebrate than with a lipstick-related blog post. Lipstick, especially red lipstick is kinda my thing, I will rock a red lip whenever I possibly can, which makes me somewhat of an expert in the field. Lucky for you, I'm here to share my lip-tips for perfecting the art of the classic red lip, and my go-to products for kissable lips every day.
1. Prime time. A rockin' red lip, like many other makeup trends, begins with a perfect base. Prime your lips with a lip primer like the brand new Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Primer ($31). This will give your lips a smooth, moisturised base and provide the perfect foundation to perfect any lip trend.
2. Line it up. Perfecting your pout requires some crisp lip-lining, using a pigmented lip liner. Personally I love the Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip ($29) because it's ridiculously pigmented and never bleeds, which is exactly what you want in a lip liner.
3. Choose your weapon. This part is completely up to you. I love matte lips, but that's just me. Choose your formula: liquid or solid, your consistency: matte, sheen, glossy, etc. and your shade. Some of my favourites include:
Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Bae - $29
3CE Lip Colour in Kiss Woo - $31
theBalm Read My Lips Lip Gloss in Tomato Red or Berry Red - $34
4. Apply your colour. Apply your chosen shade liberally. Be sure to apply the colour in layers to avoid it balling up or looking chunky and overdone. A quality product should only require one coat.
5. Clean it up. To achieve the crisp line that makes this look so classic, it requires a bit of clean up. Use a q-tip to clean up any spillage or smudging, then use a concealer brush to make the line more precise.
And voila! Your red lips are complete! Be sure to share your red lipped selfies with me on Instagram or Twitter to join in on the fun!