How do you Write Creepy Stories
- Over describe things
- Under describe things
- Fingers, teeth, and eyes
- Short sentences in rapid succession build tension
- Single sentence paragraphs build dread
- Uncanny valley=things that aren’t normal almost getting it right
- Third person limited view
- Limited explanations
- Rot, mold, damage, age, static, flickering, especially in places it shouldn’t be
- Limited sights for your mc -blindness, darkness, fog, refuse
- Real consequences
- Being alone -the more people there are, the less scary it is
- Intimate knowledge, but only on one side
I don’t know I just write scary things but I don’t know what I’m doing.
Rule of Thumb: your reader’s imagination will scare them more than anything you could ever write. You don’t have to offer a perfectly concrete explanation for everything at the end. In fact, doing so may detract from your story.