Holiday Food & Wine Pairings for Every Course with Santa Margherita
Whether it’s for your Christmas gathering or New Year Eve’s party, decadent food and wine pairings are a must. Below, please find some recipes for every course of your holiday meal that are meant to be paired with Santa Margherita’s Chianti Classico Riserva ($21.99).
EGGPLANT CAPONATA WITH CROSTINI
PAIRS WITH SANTA MARGHERITA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA – This intense ruby-colored wine is characterized by vigorous tannins and fresh acidity, followed by an aroma of forest fruits and sweet spice against a backdrop of herbs and autumn leaves.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed and roasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, from the tender inner stalks, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 heaped tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp sugar, plus a pinch
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar, or sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Roast the eggplant cubes and allow to cool.
- Heat one tbsp of the oil over medium Heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet, then add the onion and celery.
- Stir until the onion softens, about five minutes, and add the garlic. Cook together for a Minute, until the garlic begins to smell fragrant, and add the peppers and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir until just tender, about eight minutes.
- Add another tbsp of oil and the eggplant, and stir together for another five minutes, until the vegetables are tender. The eggplant will fall apart, which is fine. Season to taste.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with about 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of sugar. Cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan often, for five to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down somewhat and smell fragrant.
- Add the capers, olives, remaining sugar and vinegar. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes, until the vegetables are thoroughly tender and the mixture is quite thick, sweet and fragrant.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature. If possible, cover and chill overnight. Serve at room temperature.
PORK WITH TART BALSAMIC CHERRIES
PAIRS WITH SANTA MARGHERITA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA
- 2 bone-in pork chops; trim away any extra fat
- ⅓ cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette – choose a low oil type or make a batch from scratch
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar, kept aside
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large shallot, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh tart cherries; pitted
- Parmesan cheese
- Coat pork in vinaigrette and allow to rest. Minimum 10 minutes up to 1 hour.
- In a pan melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium high heat.
- Sauté pork until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Set pork aside, covered.
- Add remaining butter to pan and melt. Add sliced shallots and sauté until lightly golden.
- Add stock, pitted cherries and the remaining marinade to the onions. Deglaze pan and bring contents to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add pork to the pan and simmer until cooked through – about 2 minutes per side. Check temp for doneness. Plate the pork chops and spoon sauce over to serve.
- Note: If using sweet cherries – Taste test the sauce prior to adding pork and add extra balsamic vinegar to taste.
- Serve with wild rice or egg noodles with butter and Parmesan cheese
SALTED CARAMEL TART
PAIRS WITH SANTA MARGHERITA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ cups superfine sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Coarse sea salt, to garnish
Make the Crust:
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until pale in color, about 10 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, egg and vanilla and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out into a round 9-inch tart pan and press into the bottom and up sides.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Pierce the dough with a fork and bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough is baked through. Set aside.
Make the Caramel Filling:
- Place the cream and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and warm until the butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water over low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, until dark golden and the mixture reaches 340° F on a thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture (be cautious, as it will bubble up).
- Return the saucepan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the sea salt and pour into the pastry shell. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes.
Make the Chocolate Glaze:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate until set, at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional coarse sea salt before serving.
FTC DISCLOSURES: At times product samples/gratis are sent for review, color matching and/or photography purposes Any sponsored or paid content will be marked as such at the start of the article.
The post Holiday Food & Wine Pairings for Every Course with Santa Margherita appeared first on ChristabellesCloset.com.