The new Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque is my latest must have product for a clear and glowing complexion.
I have always been a fan of mud/clay masks but this blows all previous ones out of the water, it's magical. I think you can safely assume with all this gushing that I actually quite like this product!
I have only ever used one product from Dermologica previously and that was the Daily Microfoliant.
So firstly, let's have a look at what is actually in this products that makes it so special.
Ingredients are as follows:-
* Activated Binchotan (Japanese Ubame Oak) Charcoal – draws out excess sebum, toxins and other impurities. Renowned for its adsorption abilities (the adhesion of one substance onto the surface of another). Activated charcoal, which has a negatively charged surface, attracts and binds itself to positively-charged toxins. The charcoal is activated by heating Japanese Ubame Oak branches to extreme temperatures of 1,000°C, then rapidly cooling them down. Internal surfaces are eroded, increasing the adsorption capacity of the charcoal by creating an internal network if micropores. The resulting material can adsorb more than 1,000 times its weight in positively-charged compounds.
* Sulphur – promotes cellular turnover for dramatically brighter skin. Removes dulling, dead skin cells and combats breakout-causing bacteria. Ideal for calming rosacea, eczema and sebaceous dermatitis. Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
* Volcanic Ash, Hot Spring, Marine Silt (mud), Bamboo Stem Extract – physical exfoliants to leave skin smooth and revitalised.
* Phytic, Lactic and Mandelic Acid – chemical exfoliants which accelerate cellular turnover, increasing collagen production and brightening skin.
* Niacinamide – combats redness, inflammation and congested pores.
* Chilean Wild Mint – improves skin texture and reduces pore visibility
The masque is a very dark cream that actually feels quite gritty on application. This is a mask that dries the smile off your face, I could quite literally feel all the impurities being sucked out of my pores. When you are ready to remove just wet your hands and pat around the mask then gently massage to finish the exfoliation part of the treatment. I then used a warm flannel to remove the remains of the masque.
I followed up with my usual serum and moisturiser and my skin looked amazing, smooth, clean and glowing,
The smoothness and the glow lasts for several days, like it does after you have had a really good facial, and make up just glides on afterwards
The only minor niggle I had with the Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque is that you really can smell the sulphur once the masque starts to dry and this in turn meant that my 2 cats would not leave me alone and were trying to lick the mask off!
Overall I absolutely love this product and will be slotting this into my regular skincare routine once or twice a week.
The Dermalogica Charcoal Rescue Masque is available from all Dermalogica salons and retailers RRP £38
Do you have a favourite mask?