Seems just like the other day when I got my first Typewriter. While I was fairly fast when it came to typing, I was having problems with this one. I seemed to miss the buttons and it seemed a little louder. True to it, the unit wasn’t the best as I had opted for the cheapest without paying attention to its features and specs. Now am wiser, after having been forced to buy another model. In this review, I will give you, more insights on the best typewriters in the market and also how to pick a good product. Join me in the world of discovery.
List of Top 8 Best Typewriters in 2018
#8 Royal Epoch Portable Manual Typewriter
By: Royal Consumer Information Products, Inc
This typewriter features a professional keyboard to help you type faster and more effectively. It is a good option for the home or business, newbies, and professional typists. The accessory has all the necessary features for quality work, correcting, spell checking and more. The included memory function can hold lots of files and will help to deliver quality work. It is among the easiest to utilize and lasts for a long time. The ribbon relays clear text and doesn’t need regular maintenance. Thanks to the good weight distribution, practical interface, and nice weight, transporting the typewriter is convenient and easy. It can also endure knocks and bangs because of the quality built.
#7 Royal Scriptor Portable Electronic Typewriter (69149V)
By: Royal Consumer
The first impression I had of the Royal Scriptor (69149V) Electronic Typewriter was that it was for students or newbies. My instincts were proven wrong when I actually used it to assist my niece with her typing. The small unit is very solid and stays firm on the same spouts. No cases of it moving anyhow and ruining the final piece. The keys are super sensitive and you only need to use minimal effort while pressing them. I also was amazed by how light the unit was and this made portability and storage a non-issue. According to my niece, the typewriter has never had any problems since she bought it about a year ago.
#6 Brother ML-100 Daisy Wheel Typewriter, Electronic
The Brother electronic typewriter features a professional touch type for easy and quick typing. Unlike other types, you don’t need to press the keys too hard. This not only increases your typing speed but also delivers excellent work. The ribbon is made of high-grade nylon for providing clear and crisp writing. It is also resistant to regular use and chances of it detaching from the spool, getting entangled, wrinkling, or stretching are minimal. The well-placed quality keys improve the accuracy while the error-correcting function ensures your work is free of mistakes. Beginners will appreciate its simple design which will help them improve their typing skills and speed. The unit is made of scratch-resistant and durable plastic.
#5 Around The Office Portable Typewriter with Dust Cover and 2 Ribbons
By: Around The Office
This is a sturdy typewriter that supports several languages including English, Spanish, French and Portuguese. It types very smoothly and silently thanks to the superior design and technology. I have been able to have a decent conversation while it was being used in the next room. The professional looking piece delivers quality work free of smudges, misalignment, or faint letters s or numbers. The integrated dictionary together with the correcting tool helps to eliminate mistakes whereas the portable nature boasts transportability. You will love the good speed even if you are the fastest typist as well as the slim profile that improves storage.
#4 Brother SX-4000 Electronic Typewriter
Made from superior ABS plastic and other materials, the SX-4000 typewriter by Brother is perfect for amateurs and professionals. I say this because of its very simple layout and responsive keys. You don’t need to have lots of experience or to use too much force to time. I love how light it feels and the firm base which minimizes movement. It has good spacing for improved functionality and the keys are very precise. Together with the high-quality ribbon, the work produced is clear and also high quality. Many consumers, just like me, love the silent operation, good transportability, and easy storage. The unit is suitable for students, home use, institutions, businesses and much more.
#3 Nakajima WPT-150 Electronic Typewriter
If longevity, speed, efficiency, and durability are what you desire, then this typewriter will do you justice. The accessory has one of the most user-friendly layouts and should improve your typing. It is crafted from tough plastic that handles bangs, abrasions, impacts, and regular use well while the firm base keeps the unit stable during use. It has a high-yield ribbon that will handle lots of work before it needs to be replaced and delivers very clear work. Similar to other top modern types, the unit is space and energy efficient and will deliver long-lasting service.
#2 ROYAL(R) Scriptor II 69147T Taupe Electronic Typewriter
This is the typewriter I bought as a replacement for my earlier one. And so far, it’s still among if not the best typewriter I’ve ever used. I love the user-friendly keyboard that enhances the typing speed and time, the lightweight design which improves both handling and portability, and the nice layout. The unit can handle any work including printing documents, fill out forms, and editorial work. To support several languages and switching from one to another is straightforward. I love its quiet operation that enables me to work even in the night without disturbing other people in the house. And unlike some of its competitors, correcting errors is easier and this leads to clean and professional looking work.
#1 Brother GX-6750 Daisy Wheel Typewriter, Electric
I have operated this typewriter severally and I must say it beats the one I currently have by a very small margin. It is equally as fast as the one I have when it comes to typing speed, it also supports different languages and making a switch is easy. It’s also well built and very easy to move around with thanks to the good weight. The Brother GX-6750 electric typewriter has a small footprint and this suits it for small spaces, it is silent thanks to the advanced technology, and the high-quality ribbon together with the keys provides professional results. This unit nonetheless feels sturdier than the one I have and is also lighter.
Typewriter Buying Guides
If you are about to purchase a typewriter, you should pay attention to the following things:
- Clarity/Legibility: You probably have seen some shoddy looking typing work. The letters and numbers may look crooked or not very clear. There are several things that can affect this and they include ribbon quality, key pressure, design and more. Before spending money on a product, you should make certain that the writing will be legible. I mean, who wants to strain eyes trying to figure out what has been typed?
- Typing Accuracy: Other than having smaller spacing, my first keyboard wasn’t very accurate. At times, it appeared that I had to use extra force on some keys while others were very responsive. Not knowing which ones required more or less pressure wasn’t easy and my work looked unprofessional. This was despite the fact that it was a new product. Trying different types beforehand and reading reviews helps to judge a unit’s accuracy.
- Portability: Long gone and forgotten are the days when carrying a typewriter was a chore. Today, you’ll find very good typewriters that are pretty light. Actually, all the featured typewriters are lightweight for convenient carrying and also compact for improved storage. A portable unit not only improves mobility but also versatility since it can be used in different locations.
- Noise Level: I remember the old trusty typewriter that was used in my school. It had served the institution quite well and always worked like a champ. But I think I mostly remember it for the noise it made more than the good work it did. In fact, we would just go near the secretary’s office just to heat her typing. Other occupants of the house or the neighbors don’t have to bear the typing noise. You can still work effectively with a silent unit.
NB: If you are new to typing or would slice to improve your skills then this clip will come handy. Simply follow the steps and become a better typist.
Maintaining Your Typewriter
Like any other item, a typewriter needs good care so as to work as designed and last a long time. Unfortunately, many people don’t know what’s needed and will damage the unit unknowingly. How about we look at some basic maintenance tips:
- Clean it regularly: It’s paramount to wipe or clean the typewriter regularly. This helps to remove dirt, dust, sweat, fingerprints, greases, and other things. You shouldn’t use too much water, strong detergents, or force while doing it. In fact, a simple wipe with a clean rag or cloth is all you need. Always ensure the cloth or rug doesn’t leave any lint or fibers. Use a soft-bristled brush to clean the type bar and other parts.
- Cover it: When not in use, ensure the unit is fully covered. This protects it from fur, dust, dirt, moisture, water, sweat and other things that can damage it. Leaving dust or dirt on for too long may harden and this will interfere with the operation of the keys and levers.
- Oil it when necessary: Like any other machines, the typewriter needs to be oiled occasionally. Doing so minimizes friction and makes the parts move smoother and better. The unit will also be more silent and pressing the keys/levers is easy. If you aren’t very conversant with oiling, you should seek help from an expert.
- Store at the right temperature: Storing the unit in the wrong temperature or environment will affect it in the short and long-term. For instance, high heat will damage the rubber parts and seals which will start melting. The oil will also disintegrate or evaporate and this may increase friction. Very low temperatures also make rubber parts to crack and also encourage moisture which can lead to corrosion or rust. The ideal temperature is between 40 – 75 degrees Fahrenheit. See below video for more detail
Remember, your typewriter will serve you as you serve it. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you. I know of a typewriter that has seen two generations and it still works amazingly well.
Typewriters are still common and are useful in many situations in the home, office, and other places. Nevertheless, not every product will work right. It may be little noisy, the keys may feel sticky; it may be a little cumbersome, or somewhat heavy to carry. In this review, I have listed down what I believe to be the best typewriters in 2018. I based the review on personal experience, interacting with experts, and also reading trusted reviews. By owning any of the typewriters, you’ll have an easier time typing way.
The post Reviews of 8 Best Typewriters in 2018 With Buying Guides & Maintenance Tips appeared first on THE10PRO.