by MarkLives (@marklives)
South Africa’s Pencils for 2016
|Yellow||KFC Man Meals||Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg||KFC||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising Campaigns|
|Yellow||Sexy Times||TBWA/Hunt/Lascaris Johannesburg||Tiger Brands||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising Campaigns|
|Wood||Cookies||Publicis Machine Cape Town||Play-Doh||Outdoor Advertising||Poster Advertising/Free Format|
|Wood||Lucozade Energy Drink||Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg||Lucozade||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising Campaigns|
|Wood||Lucozade Energy Drink – Lacing Up Your High Tops||Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg||Lucozade||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising over 30 seconds|
|Wood||Lucozade Energy Drink – Night Before The Project||Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg||Lucozade||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising over 30 seconds|
|Wood||Lucozade Energy Drink – Team Building Weekend||Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg||Lucozade||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising over 30 seconds|
|Wood||Nando’s Global Packaging||Famous Copy||Nando’s Group||Writing for Design||Writng for Packaging Design|
|Wood||Nando’s Peri Book||MullenLowe South Africa||Nando’s||Direct||Direct Mail|
|Wood||Night Tour Shadows||Y&R Cape Town||Johannesburg Zoo||Graphic Design||Posters (Graphic Design)|
|Wood||Travel before it’s not fun anymore||TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris||Flight Centre||Radio Advertising||Radio Advertising Campaigns|
|Wood||Travel before it’s not fun anymore||TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris||Flight Centre||Writing for Advertising||Writing for Radio Advertising|
|Wood||Tuluver||Utopia||BirdLife South Africa||Creativity for Good (White Pencil)||Advertising & Marketing Communications – Not for Profit|
- Black Pencil: 2
- White Pencil: 3
- Yellow Pencil: 61
- Graphite Pencil: 149
- Wood Pencil: 532
Black Pencil-awarded work
- ‘The World Addressed’ by what3words (Creativity for Good) — UK
- ‘mt expo 2015’ by iyamadesign for Kamoi Kakoshi (Spatial Design) — Japan
White Pencil-awarded work
- ‘Security Moms’ by Ogilvy Brasil for Sport Clube do Recife — Brazil
- ‘Fairphone 2’ by seymourpowell for Fairphone — UK
- ‘Clever Buoy’ by M&C Saatchi for Optus — Australia
Most-awarded advertising agency
- Y&R New Zealand
- = Droga5 and AMVBBDO
- Grey London
Most-awarded design agency
- = johnson banks and The Partners
Most-awarded production company
- The Mill
- Burger King
This year, the President’s Award went to Steve Henry, co-founder of Decoded and one of the founders and creative partner of the world-renowned Advertising agency HHCL.
Results by country
The UK topped the rankings again with a total of 217 Pencils, including 14 Yellow Pencils, one White Pencil and one Black Pencil. The US followed in second place, with 143 Pencils overall, of which 12 were Yellow; France came in third place, winning six Yellow Pencils and 48 Pencils in total. Japan led the way in Asia, with one Black Pencil and four Yellow Pencils amongst its haul of 42 Pencils overall, whilst Brazil topped the table for Latin America, with a total of 30 Pencils, including one White Pencil. New Zealand, which came in joint-fifth position with Brazil (with 30 Pencils), claimed the third highest number of Yellow Pencils by country, with 11.
- D&AD: South Africa ranked joint 12th with 13 Pencils
- D&AD judging day 2, another Pencil for South Africa
- First set of D&AD results out, SA dominates Radio
- Wood Pencil (formerly In Book): Equivalent to a bronze award. The best in advertising and design from the year, worthy of a place in the D&AD Annual.
- Graphite Pencil (formerly Nomination): Equivalent to a silver award. Standout work, beautifully executed with an original and inspiring idea at its core.
- Yellow Pencil: The iconic D&AD Yellow Pencil, awarded only to the most0outstanding work that achieves true creative excellence.
- White Pencil: Awarded to Yellow Pencil-worthy work that demonstrates the power to affect real and positive change in the world through creative thinking.
- Black Pencil: The ultimate creative accolade, reserved for work that is ground- breaking in its field. Only a handful of Black Pencils are awarded each year, if any.
— MarkLives’ round-up of top ad and media industry news and opinion in your mailbox every Monday and Thursday. Sign up here!