I made this easy braai bread in the spur of the moment one day when we decided to have a quick braai (barbeque) at home. My friend rocked up here with a packet of ready-made dough from our local supermarket bakery. To jazz it up I added some hot mango atchar, cheddar and green pepper. I cut the dough up in rolls but stuffed them all into a tin to bake, so it was a very social pull-apart loaf that no one was shy to dig into.
The atchar gives a spicy and tangy pickled flavour to this braai bread and the cheese just bring all that great savoury flavour together. The bread compliments whatever you made on the braai as it goes really well with anything smoky. You can obviously make your own bread dough from scratch, this was just very convenient because we were cut for time. Try this easy, quick bread recipe if you want to impress with minimal ingredients.
Atchar Braai Bread
500g Bread dough
½ Green pepper, chopped
½ cup Mango atchar (hot or mild)
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
½ tsp Origanum
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Extra flour for the surface
1 tsp Milk and 1 tsp Olive oil, mixed
1. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes to get rid of excess air and to get it elastic. Roll the dough out into a rectangular shape about 1cm thick.
2. Mix the chopped green pepper, mango atchar, grated cheese, origanum and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
3. Spread the atchar mixture onto the flattened dough leaving a cm border open. Starting from the broad side, roll the dough up to form a log. Cut the log into about 8 even slices.
4. Arrange the slices in a greased cake tin or any other oven-safe container. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C. When the dough has risen about double the size, remove the plastic wrap and dab with the milk and olive oil mixture. This will brown the crust nicely. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the bread is baked through.
Serve as an accompaniment at a braai or with soup. Perfect with Halloumi & baby marrow kebabs.
Do you have a favourite quick loaf you like to serve at braais? We would love to hear how you do it.
The post Atchar Braai Bread appeared first on Loving Veggie.