When vegetables make up a large part of your diet as a vegan, it’s expected that you eat a lot of them, right? Whilst this is kind of true for me, one thing that I really struggle to eat is my greens. Seriously, I just hate them.
I like courgettes and peas, but when it comes to those key ‘leafy greens’ and that all important powerhouse, broccoli, I struggle, and it’s rare you’ll see any of them in my shopping basket. I have managed to stuff some spinach into my morning smoothies, but that’s about it.
But I know how important they are, and so I’ve begun to make a conscious effort to attempt to eat more of them. But I find just having them as a side dish really dull and that they usually don’t fit into my evening meals. So I’ve had to get creative in an attempt to get them into my diet, and I think I’ve cracked it.
Meet my vegan Green Goddess Pasta. The sauce is enough to make any green-juice loving hipster weep with joy. A mix of kale, spinach, broccoli, peas and basil, it’s getting those all important nutrients into your body without feeling like you’re punishing yourself. Mixed with coconut milk, it’s incredibly fresh and actually really delicious. The basil helps to overpower any taste the green veggies have, so that you don’t even realise what you’re eating is so damn good for you.
I know that it’s rare on this blog to actually find something packed full of health benefits (we’re more into our decadent vegan chocolate tarts over here) but this is too good not to share.
You could really use this sauce for anything, but here we’ve used it on pasta. It’s a great meal-prep idea, and I like to make a big batch for the week so that I can have it for my lunch each day. That way, I’m getting my daily dose of green veggies, but mixed it with those delicious healthy carbs to keep me going for the rest of the day.
It’s great served warm or cold, so get creative and experiment using it on different things. Any way to eat your greens!
Vegan Green Goddess Pasta
A simple Vegan Green Goddess pasta sauce to sneak extra green veggies into your diet.
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 15g fresh basil
- 110g baby spinach
- 200g kale
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250g frozen peas
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 50ml water
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 500g wholemeal pasta
- Optional: pumpkin seeds to serve
- Step 1 In a large saucepan, heat your olive oil over a medium heat.
- Step 2 Once hot, add your chopped onions and sauté
- Step 3 After a couple of minutes, add in your garlic, broccoli and frozen peas
- Step 4 Mix well, then reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan and leave to ‘sweat’ for 15 minutes
- Step 5 Remove the lid, stir and then add your kale, spinach, basil, cumin and pour in your coconut milk and water
- Step 6 Bring to a boil, and once boiling, reduce to a simmer
- Step 7 Simmer until veggies are soft, about 5-10 minutes
- Step 8 Leave to cool slightly, then using a high speed blender, blend until completely smooth
- Step 9 Put back on the heat, and season to taste
- Step 10 Meanwhile, cook your pasta according to the package instructions
- Step 11 Once pasta is cooked, add to your sauce and stir well.
- Step 12 Scatter over pumpkin seeds for an extra nutrition boost
- Step 13 Serve!
The post Green Goddess Vegan Pasta appeared first on The Rose and Bean.