It’s been an odd week and so I’ve not been cooking as much as I would have liked too. I didn’t have much to do today, Sam was working and my family were out, so I decided I would take the opportunity to do some recipe testing and make some vegan Banana Bread.
I’ve actually never made banana bread before; usually because if I’m making anything I tend to avoid fruit and go straight for the chocolate. But I was drawn to the idea of making a banana bread today – although obviously I had to add in some chocolate.
This recipe turned out much better than I was expecting and I’m so pleased. A delicious mix of chocolate and Peanut Butter helped to make this super yum and different from plain banana. It’s not even that bad for you. I wanted to try and make a semi-healthy vegan banana bread, so there’s no refined sugar and I’ve used cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. Lots of good antioxidants so you don’t feel too bad when you’re eating way more than you should.
As always, give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Vegan Chocolate, Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas and an extra one for topping (optional)
- 150g plain flour
- 50g cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp milled flax seeds
- 4 tbsp agave nectar
- 55g dark chocolate chips
- 50g smooth peanut butter and extra for topping (optional)
- Step 1 Start by pre-heating your oven to 180C. Line a loaf tin with parchment paper
- Step 2 Next, prepare the flax egg. Mix together the milled flax seeds with 2.5 tbsp water. Stir together and place in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes
- Step 3 In a large bowl, shift together the plain flour, cacao powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder
- Step 4 In a separate bowl, mash together the 3 bananas. Stir in the vanilla extract, coconut oil, agave nectar, peanut butter and flax egg
- Step 5 Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix to fully combine
- Step 6 Add in the chocolate chips and stir to ensure evenly distributed
- Step 7 Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin
- Step 8 If using, thinly slice the fourth banana and scatter on top of the mixture
- Step 9 Place in the oven for 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean
- Step 10 Leave to cool in the loaf tin for 10 minutes before removing and placing on a cooling rack
- Step 11 Once completely cool, lightly melt the peanut butter in the microwave in 10 second bursts on high, until it is slightly runny. Drip on top of the cooled banana bread.
- Step 12 Serve!
The post Chocolate, Peanut Butter Banana Bread appeared first on The Rose and Bean.