Soup is so easy and simple to make, and just so much more delicious when it’s homemade. For a perfect light starter or lunch, Soup is the one, and this vegan leek and Potato Soup with Crispy Croutons is the perfect vegan Christmas starter.
There’s something about leek and potato soup that is just so damn good. You can of course make this in advance and re-heat on Christmas day. Garnish with some chives and croutons and you’re off to a winner.
This is also perfect because it’s not too heavy. It’s packed full of nutrients and as far as Christmas food goes, is quite healthy. The soup can be made in advance and re-heated once needed. I’d recommend making the croutons on the day, but they’re so quick, it won’t take you away from the Christmas festivities. Alternatively, serve with fresh crusty bread.
Read on to find out how to make this beautifully simple and fragrant vegan leek and potato soup with crispy croutons.
Vegan Leek and Potato Soup with Crispy Croutons
- 4 leeks, thoroughly washed and finely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled chopped into small chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 30g vegan butter
- 550ml vegan stock
- 100ml almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp ground sage
- Salt and pepper to season
- Chives to garnish (optional)
- For the crispy croutons
- 4 pieces wholemeal bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- Step 1 In a large saucepan, over a medium heat melt your butter
- Step 2 Once the butter is fully melted, add in your chopped onion. Sauté until soft
- Step 3 When then onion is soft, ddd in your chopped leaks and potatoes and stir to ensure they are all completely covered in the melted butter
- Step 4 Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to ‘sweat’ for 15 minutes
- Step 5 After 15 minutes, add the stock, milk, sage and seasoning and give it a good stir
- Step 6 Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the veggies are nice and soft
- Step 7 Once soft, turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly
- Step 8 Once cool, use a stick blender to whizz up to your desired consistency. Leave a few chunks if you like (if you do not have a stick blender, use any type of blender you have, you might just need to do it in a few batches).
- Step 9 Taste and adjust seasoning as required
- Step 10 Place back on the stove to re-heat and serve with chopped chives and crispy croutons
- Step 11 If not using right away, allow to cool completely, cover and leave in the fridge until it needs re-heating. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove again.
- Step 12 For the crispy croutons
- Step 13 Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees
- Step 14 Cut your bread into small cubes
- Step 15 Place on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper, and use your hands to mix it all together
- Step 16 Place in the oven for 10 minutes
- Step 17 Remove and serve! Make sure to put on your soup at the last minute to avoid them going soggy
These can be left in a air-tight container if needed, but they’re best served straight away. If you do make them in advance, re-heat in the oven which will help them go crispy again.
The post Leek and potato soup with crispy croutons (Vegan Christmas Series) appeared first on The Rose and Bean.