|Bollywood star R Madhavan-Took pains to learn perfect Hindi|
This is very sad. You are good looking with a great performance in an audition but still got rejected. Why?
One of the least focused success factor by actors for a success in the audition and for scene performance is the ability to speak Hindi perfectly.
And this is common among many of us. We all come from the different socio-cultural background with different languages, speaking Hindi mingled with our local language accent and diction. This could be disastrous! The casting directors want a perfect spoken language as per the script and a character's profile (unless you are already a star).
Comments by casting directors on why they want to reject an actor for the role
~ He has got a strong Malayalam accent.
~ She is Bengali but speaks with an impeccable Hindi.
~ He speaks with a broad/ heavy/ strong/ thick Bihari accent.
~ I thought I could detect a slight south Indian accent.
~ He spoke Hindi in heavily Punjabi accent.
What exactly do we mean by the above statements?
An accent is a peculiar style and rhythm of speaking a particular language; we also call it 'speech music'. Factors like mother tongue, socio-economic background and medium of education influence one's accent.
Which brings us to accent neutralization and learning spoken Hindi ? Urdu in a perfect accent required for selection. It means removing all traces of the mother tongue rhythm and adopting the needed native rhythm of Hindi in this case.
How an actor to develop an excellent Hindi / Urdu accent
1. Get a CD of good Hindi language like speeches of speakers, Hindi teachers, Hindi news reader on TV
Or record on your mobile voice recorder from TV, YouTube or other sources
Or ask your friend who has a good Hindi vocabulary to read out Hindi newspaper articles. Record them on your mobile
2. Listen to this recorded tape 3 times carefully.
Do not try to note down or memorize
3. Now, listen to only 1st sentence 3 times.
4. Then speak this ist sentence along with the recorded speaker LOUDLY 3 to 5 times
5. Then speak the same sentence loudly without following the recorded speaker and go on speaking till your pronunciation and other qualities matched with those of recorded expert speaker's speech
6. Follow the above with next recorded sentence repeatedly till you are perfect. This way, practice the entire speech
7. Go on practicing the above daily without fail. Remember, there is no short cut to get rid of a particular language accent
Note: You can practice the above by speaking along with news anchor on TV news channel. My recommendation is practicing with "Doordarshan" news reader
Prioritize the performance over the accent.
Don’t let the dialect becomes more important than your performance. Pay attention to the character’s social class, age, upbringing, objective, and obstacle. Sometimes actors are so focused on the accent that they are not bothered about the importance of being a character truthfully. Even they are not even listening to the reader who is speaking the lines of co-actor in the scene.
My SuggestionConsider "Good Spoken Language Seriously
The best option would be to join an acting coach who also a voice and language accent expert. This acting coach takes special language / accent development classes along with or without acting coaching courses.