Last week Todd Fisher, Carrie's brother, had said that Disney wanted to bring back Princess Leia. Todd, and Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd, had given Disney permission to use "recent footage" for "Episode IX," but it seems like it won't be happening after all, at least according to Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy.
“Sadly, Carrie will not be in nine,” Kennedy said during an interview with ABC News “But we will see a lot of Carrie in eight.” This is a bit of a bombshell and likely a disappointment for “Star Wars” fans who assumed the filmmakers had at least found one way to work her into the plot.
“[Todd Fisher] was probably confused because we finished everything in ‘Eight,’ and Carrie is absolutely phenomenal in the movie” she said. “We’re so happy that we were able to complete shooting in the summer. Unfortunately, Carrie Passed away. So by the time we were well under way with Episode IX– in our thoughts–we had not written the script, but we’ve regrouped and started over again in January.”
In a separate interview with Yahoo, Kennedy said. “When Carrie passed away in December that was a huge blow for all of us, and it caused us to sit with Colin to really think where we were headed with ‘Episode IX.’ Carrie was a significant part in that story — that was something she very much wanted and something we very much wanted. But given the circumstances, we would not carry on with that.”
‘Episode IX’ will hit theaters on May 23, 2019. It will be Directed by Colin Trevorrow