New Delhi, August 29, News24 Bureau
: Much noise is being created by the Opposition on the Rafale Deal and the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has taken the bull by its horn. On Wednesday he cleared the air on the Rafale deal and said that the present NDA government has negotiated hard to keep prices down by at least 20 percent for each aircraft as per 2016 deal, compared to that of the UPA in 2007. These are the major 10 takeaways from his interview he gave to ANI:
1. What was negotiated from 2015 to 2016 and finally executed in 2016, with the escalations and the currency variations, the basic aircraft price turns out to be 9% cheaper. Is the Congress party aware of this?: FM Arun Jaitley on Rafale deal
2. Our tragedy in the NDA has been, particularly in BJP, we’ve had a fair share of career nationalists. They are nationalists with us as long as it suits their career. I don’t attach much credibility to them: Arun Jaitley on Arun Shourie, Yashwant Sinha's criticism of Rafale
3. Quantum in defence is always large. Therefore, quantum doesn’t mean anything. Please produce a shred of evidence that Government of India has anything to do with any of the offset suppliers for any contract, whether under UPA or NDA: FM Jaitley on Rafale deal
4. I have, at least twice, repeated this sentence, how much does he know and when will he know? Can you compare a basic aircraft’s pricing with a loaded aircraft? Can you compare simple aircraft with a weaponized aircraft?: FM Arun Jaitley on Rahul Gandhi
5. You comprised national security, you have not given any reason why you delayed it by ten years. The combat ability of our forces had to be increased; we live in a troubled zone: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley
6. FM Arun Jaitley says, "Every fact that they (Congress) have said on pricing is factually false. Mr Rahul Gandhi himself has given 7 different prices in different speeches with regard to the 2007 Rafale offer.
7. Congress must remember that it can’t fool people all the time. This is a government to government arrangement. Offset has nothing to do with this contract. The government will purchase 36 fully-loaded aircrafts from France, no private party involved. Govt role ends
8. FM Arun Jaitley on Arun Shourie, Yashwant Sinha's criticism of Rafale says, "Our tragedy in NDA has been, particularly in BJP, we’ve had a fair share of career nationalists. They are nationalists with us as long as it suits their career."
9. If you can go to extent of misquoting President Macron, and saying he warned me there is no secrecy clause, the French government denied it, the GoI showed the secrecy cause in Parliament and then you turn around and say “hoga par main nahin manta”: FM Jaitley
10. If that is the cussed approach, that you say look my party has a legacy of corruption in defence deals, let me make a faint effort to say everybody is corrupt. If that is the political strategy, then please don’t advise us to show official files: FM Arun Jaitley
Watch the whole interview here: