Many cameras have a built-in Microphone, as part of their default features. If you have ever tried to record audio through your camera’s build in microphone, however, you’ll have run into a few issues. We’ll run through a couple of these issues, as well as presenting our solution to terrible in-camera audio: Wireless microphones. This is our list of the best wireless microphone out there.
First, about this audio issues in-camera. Most video cameras (especially DSLRs) weren’t built to be good audio recordings. Manufacturers have been their time and attention into creating a device that captures great video, but not necessarily great sound.
The sound quality may not be so high, volume may be weak, especially if your subject is not near the camera. And if you have unwanted background noise present, then all bets are off! Unless you are in a quiet environment, you will definitely be able to hear road noise in the background, animals noises or unwanted conversation getting picked up. Unwanted non-diegetic sound!
Wireless microphones enable you to get a mic up close to the subject and record the audio that you actually intend on recording.
This is our Buyer’s Guide for the best wireless microphones currently on the market. Here is the top list, complete with the features and qualities of each of them. Let’s start off with a comparison table of the Top 4:
1. Sennheiser EW 112P G3-A omni-directional EW system
There is no doubt that the Sennheiser EW 112P G3-A omni-directional EW system is on the top of our list (and rightfully so!)
Sennheiser is one of the premium brands when it comes to audio, delivering not only high quality output, as we have seen in their headphones and portable audio systems, but also with input as well.
Their products are priced a bit more than many competitors, as well as other wireless systems, but is definitely worth the investment. If you’re serious about your investment in your video production gear, then Sennheiser is definitely the brand you want for high quality audio recording.
This microphone is completely flexible and professional, easily portable and has the best sound quality that we have experienced with a wireless microphone. The clip-on is discrete and nearly invisible, and the receiver and transmitter is really easy to operate.
Perfect for corporate / promo video work, as well as weddings and other events. This is our top pick!
When you purchase this Sennheiser system, you will also be getting these items that will enable you to get professional level sound:
- EK 100 G3 diversity receiver
- SK 100 G3 bodypack transmitter
- ME 2 clip-on microphone (omni-directional)
- CL 1 line output cable
- CL 100 XLR cable
- CA 2 camera adaptor
- AA batteries
- 42 MHz bandwidth: 1680 tunable UHF frequencies for interference-free reception
- Enhanced frequency bank system with up to 12 compatible frequencies
- Automatic frequency scan feature searches for available frequencies
- User-friendly menu operation with more control options
- Wide range of accessories adapts the system to any requirement
2. Sennheiser AVX Digital Wireless Microphone System – ME2 Lavalier Set
We’d be remiss not to include another Sennheiser microphone system here. Can you tell we’re Sennheiser fans yet?
This Sennheiser comes in as another good system for audio capture in video production, and is different from the previous one mainly because it is camera mounted.
The Sennheiser AVX Digital Wireless Microphone System – ME2 Lavalier Set is a great option for a variety of video capture, from film and video production through to more vérité based production like news reporting and events.
This metal-housed microphone set is also very discrete, and follows the actions of the camera using Phantom Power, so that you will not have to worry about manipulating the power on both camera and audio gear.
Here are other interesting features about this camera-mounted microphone set:
- EKP XLR receiver
- SK Bodypack Transmitter
- ME2-II Lavalier Microphone
- AVX power movement follows that of the camera, using the P48 Phantom Power
- Receiver plugs directly into the XLR audio input
- AVR sets and selects optimum recording levels with interference cancellation
- AES 256-bit Encryption
- Ultra compact AVX receiver plugs directly into the XLR audio input.
- AVX switches on and off automatically with the camera using P48 Phantom Power.
- AVX automatically sets input sensitivity for optimum recording levels.
- AVX automatically selects operating frequencies to eliminate interference
- 2 year warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer
3. Rode RodeLink FM Wireless Filmmaker System
The Rode brand is also very familiar with this audio business, especially for professional production purposes. It’s also one of the top brands I would suggest for a lot of audio purposes. Their DSLR Videomic became one of the biggest selling video production mics of all time and pretty much single-handedly revolutionized on-board camera sound.
As far as the best wireless microphone goes, we present to you the Rode RodeLink FM Wireless Filmmaker System.
This kit is especially recommended for all types of film and video production. It isolates sound really well and can reach up to a range of 100 yards for audio capture. Included in the box :
- TX-Belt beltpack Series II, 2.4GHz digital wireless transmission
- 128-bit encryption
- RX-CAM camera-mounted OLED display receiver
- Three level gain control
- AA battery or USB powered
- Broadcast Lavalier lapel microphone
- Series II, 2.4GHz digital transmission
- 128-bit encryption. Receiver Dimension: 4.37 x 2.56 x 2 inches, Transmitter Dimension: 4.37 x 2.56 x...
- Up to 100 meters range
- OLED display (on receiver)
- One button pairing
4. Audio-Technica ATW-1701/L System 10-Camera-Mount Digital Wireless System
Next on my list, is a gadget that can be mounted to your camera. This is the Audio-Technica ATW-1701/L System 10-Camera-Mount Digital Wireless System that also comes with an Omni Lavalier Mic.
While this piece of kit is not as well known known in the market as some of the others in this list of the best wireless mics, I quite like this audio device because it is discrete and small.
The receiver mounts easily to the top of the camera, and easily picks up sound and the reception is really good because of the dual antennas. I have included some highlights that you’ll get with this system:
- 4 GHz Operation that blocks out interference
- MT830cW Omnidirectional Lavalier Mic with Mogami cable
- Independent Headphone Monitor Output
- Frequency, Time, and Space Diversity assurance to help sound capture free from interference
- Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
- Dual Antennas Improve Reception
- Comes with a Bodypack Transmitter
- Digital 24-bit/48 kHz wireless operation for ultimate sound quality and dependable performance
- Operates in the 2.4 GHz range - completely free from TV interference
- Extremely easy operation with instantaneous channel selection, sync and setup and three levels of...
- Ultra compact receiver size with multiple mounting options; selectable balanced and unbalanced...
- Internal rechargeable 12-hr battery, separate headphone port and volume control for local audio...
5. Sony UWP-D11 Integrated Digital Wireless Bodypack Lavalier Microphone
One brand that always maintains a high reputation is Sony. Known around the world as a quality manufacturer of electronic goods for all sorts of industries, Sony is a great choice for video prodiction and filmmaking gear as well. It doesn’t disappoint with its products in the audio sphere either.
The Sony UWP-D11 Integrated Digital Wireless Bodypack Lavalier Microphone system is one of our top picks for this category of wireless microphone. It offers superior sound quality and can hold its own effectively against its competitors in areas like range, durability and ease of use.
Included in this system and features are:
- an Omni lavaliere microphone thsat comes with a microphone windscreen
- microphone-holder clip
- UTX-B03 body pack transmitter
- URX-P03 portable receiver
- utilizes UHF-TV Channels 14 to 25 with automatic scanning
- USB Charging and power
- Can operate on simultaneous multi-channels
- Infrared synchronization between transmitter and receiver
- Consists of an Omni lavaliere microphone, body pack transmitter and portable tuner
- Suitable for a wide range of applications, from news gathering and interviews to talk shows and...
- The lavaliere microphone is supplied with a microphone windscreen and a microphone-holder clip
- Uses UHF-TV Channels 30 to 36 and 38 to 41