I have been getting a lot of emails from my regular readers for the new and delicious Newari Recipe. Amongst all of those requests, most popular has always been for the recipe of Alu Tama (Bamboo shoot soup). So today I managed to gather some good old and simple recipe of Alu Tama Bori. Though this is a modified version of the traditional alu tama soup, it surely will give a different taste to you. I will post the original and traditional recipe in coming future posts, so don't forget to visit the recipe section often.
So here goes today's recipe for Alu Tama Bori.
- 1 medium potato (Alu)
- 1 cup bamboo shoot (Tama)
- 1/2 cup black-eyed peas (Bori)
- 2 pieces tomatoes (Golveda)
- 1 medium onion (Pyaj)
- 1 teaspoon salt (Nun)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (Besar)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1 piece ginger root (Aduwa)
- 1 green chilies (Hariyo Khursani)
- 50g Sunflower oil (You can use any cooking oil)
- First of all, Soak black-eyed peas in water overnight.Wash and cut bamboo shoots in slices or cubes, whichever shape you like.
- Heat a large sauce pan and then put oil and let it heat for a while.
- Add chopped onion and green chili and fry it till the onion turns brown.
- Add finely chopped ginger, turmeric powder,cumin powder, and chopped tomato.
- Add some water so that that it doesn't stick on the pan.
- Add black-eyed peas and then fry around 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped potato and fry another 5 minutes put 1/2 cup water and simmer it.
- Now add bamboo shoots and 1 cup water and cover it. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Finally garnish it with cilantro and chopped tomato.
- Now the delicious and hot hot Alu Tama Bori soup is ready to serve. Serve it hot!