Window regulators and motors have an essential role in smooth functioning of car’s windows. The former one is responsible for raising and lowering window glass whereas the latter one provides Regulator the power to function. Basically, power window Motor coverts electronic signals received from switch to mechanical energy. This energy then activates window regulator so it makes the upward and downward movement of window glass easy. As both of these parts are prone to constant wear and tear, they gradually fail or break.
When this happens, window regulator and motor replacement becomes necessary. Usually these parts give out warning before failing out completely but in case of accidents or other serious issues they fail immediately. In latter case, the more you delay the window regulator and motor replacement will be more difficult. There are several auto shops that perform these kinds of replacements on daily basis. They have got trained staff, expert mechanics and qualified guides to complete the task. Your pool of options for window regulator and motor replacement is very wide. Take your car to professional mechanic if it pleases you or perform it on your own and save huge bucks because power window motor replacement cost is very high. If you plan to do it at home, following is the list of required tools.
Needle nose pliers
Replacement power window motor
Safety Tips for Power Window Motor Replacement:
Do wear all required safety equipments when you performing this task at home in absence of professional auto mechanic. The list basically contains gloves, closed toe shoes, safety goggles and industrial grade dust mask. Do not forget to disconnect battery and cut other sources of electric current. You should always exercise caution when working on electrical parts of your vehicle.
Step Wise Procedure for Window Regulator and Motor Replacement:
- Start with raising window glass and disconnect battery terminals to ensure zero flow of current. Then locate car’s fuse box and check if its motor’s fuse is blown or not.
- For window regulator, check door panel window switch and make sure its rolling properly or not. Then get a screwdriver, lift up window switch plate and unplug electrical connector to complete the process of motor replacement.
- Sometimes the adapter plug on window switch gets damaged and leave burnt marks on switch. If you see these marks it means it’s time for power window motor replacement. And if damage is caused by regulator, loosen all screws of door panel, pry it open and pull it away slowly.
- Once burnt marks are found, remove screws of door panel. Be careful while separating it from plastic rivets as it will give you direct access to window motor. Any carelessness will make you face high power window motor replacement cost. For regulator, disconnect electrical connector and unfasten bolts securing motor and regulator with the help of socket wrench.
- Use trimming pool for removing trim pins and slightly lift door panel so it can be put aside. When done, carefully shove glass window and use packaging tape to tape it on door frame. For window regulator, detach the old from motor and pull it away.
- Remove bolts connected to automatic window motor and replace worn out joint. Unplug wires, remove motor from mount bolts and take out old motor. Once done, install new replacement motor and secure it with the help of mount bolts.
- Connect new regulator to motor and reattach plastic liner with the help of masking tape. Reconnect all electrical connections, including battery. Finally test your windows. Test the new motor and regulator and sit back to enjoy the successful accomplishment of window regulator and motor replacement.
The post Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Guide appeared first on AS Auto Parts Blog.