It’s getting late but I am not yet sleepy, currently counting days to my graduation. Just earlier I had my graduation pictorial and just cleared almost 95% of my requirements and I am definitely on my way to it. The feeling is surreal, I can’t imagine how long the journey was and I am finally marching this May, I am still hyper and overwhelmed right now so let me use my energy to create something that might be very useful and life changer to some.
This is going to be long, but if you wanted to finish your school, without leaving your job or sacrificing all the time that was left from you after your work then bear with me, this article is for you.
Four years back, I called my uncle who was a Professor and told him that I want a diploma but I don’t have time to go back to college but I have some savings for school, he told me that my only way was to go back to school. Now, I have some on my pocket but literally don’t have time, so I thought there must be some way for professionals to finish their studies without going through all the regular students’ work.
I started searching for Open Universities and alternative education mode but nothing fits to what exactly I am looking for. I can’t commit to open universities because of the demanding nature of my work plus it can get too expensive and there will be too many subjects which will take longer to finish for someone who doesn’t have the luxury of time.
(You might think I am looking for a shortcut, which is kind of true but I’d say that the best word for it is “perfect alternative” because I am supporting my family and my siblings’ schooling, I also wanted to work on my career path and growth, while at the same time juggling all my musings like maintaining this blog, taking care of my travel bug bite and my much needed photo walks and sartorial gigs from time to time.)
It took me while of researching about school programs before I stumbled upon Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Acceleration Program (ETEEAP).
What is ETEEAP?
Ang sagot sa mga gustong makapag tapos ng pagaaral pero walang sapat na time, dahil may work, family, friends, aura at lovelife :). At para sa mga na reject sa work at promotion dahil hindi degree holder. Char lang pero totoo!
On a serious note, “The ETEEAP is a comprehensive educational assessment program at the tertiary level that recognizes, accredits and gives equivalencies to knowledge, skills, attitudes and values gained by individuals from relevant work. It is implemented through deputized higher education institutions that shall award the appropriate college degree.
Beneficiaries must be Filipinos who are at least high school graduates. They must have worked for at least five years in the field or industry related to the academic program they are obtaining an equivalency. They must also be able to show proof of proficiency, capability and thorough knowledge in the field applied for equivalency.” CHED.GOV.PH
To clarify further, para po ito sa mga mangagawang pinoy na meron nang hindi baba sa limang taon na experience sa kanilang kasalukuyang profession at gustong matapos ang kanilang pagaaral.
Layunin nito na ikonsidera ang mga experiences at learnings na nakuha mo sa trabaho para macredit ka sa mga subjects na katumbas nito sa paaralan, sa ganitong paraan hindi mo na kailangan kunin lahat ng subject na inaapply mo naman na sa trabaho mo ngayon. Ibig sabihin mas experienced ka mas kunti ang subjects pero syempre kelangan me katibayan lahat ng experiences mo.
Why I think ETEEAP is the perfect alternative I have been looking for?
First, 80% self-paced education mode to, ibig sabihin ikaw ang may hawak ng iyong oras – pag sinipag ka edi mabilis, pero wala naman masyadong time eh di chill lang me school ka na babalikan. Pero syempre limitado ito ng mga timelines like, deadline of completing a subject and university residency.
Second, hangat kaya mo patunayan na bihasa ka na sa isang field of professional study, maari itong maacredit sa time ng evaluation – kaya more experience and proof of proficiency, more fun . Pero hindi sakop ng rules na ito ang General Education na required ni CHED. So kung ilan ang kulang mo sa General Education kelangan mo talaga kunin lahat yun ng walang excemption.
Halimbawa ng Professional subjects or study equivalency and accreditation:
- Kung limang taon ka na Manager o Supervisor, maaring maacredit si Fundamentals of Management mo at mga subject na may similar requirements.
- Ako na nag tatrabaho sa linya ng quality and process improvement at merong mga patunay ng application and studies ukol sa Quality and Productivity accredited din yun.
Third, hindi ito gaya ng Open University na kelangan mo bayaran ang buong klase sakaling ikaw lang magisa ang nageroll at gusto mo na magsimula na agad, ganyan kasi ang madalas na patakaran dati sa mga schools na napagtanungan ko tungkol sa Open University, update nyo ako kung iba na ang rules ngayon
Fourth, this is mostly online, sariling kayod, hindi kailangan laging nasa school, puede sa bahay o di kaya sa internet shop kaya perfect sa mga naghahanap buhay at may pamilya. But wait, major quizzes and examination are conducted in the school with your professor, you will have the same sets of exams like those of the regular students. Google can be helpful only if you use it para maintindihan mo ng maigi ang lessons.
How ETEEAP favored my personal life my career and my dream degree?
- With ETEEAP, nakapag aral ako ng hindi nagreresign sa trabaho
- I was able to build my career path, napromote pa ako dalawang beses ilang beses habang nagaaral
- At dahil may trabaho ako, nagagampanan ko parin ang tungkolin ko sa pamilya ko bilang panganay na anak at katuwang ng aking nanay, eto kasi ang dahilan kaya hindi option sa akin ang scholarship dati since it will require you to focus on your studies and most of the scholarships will restrict you from having a job.
- Nakakapag enroll ako kung kelan ako maluwag, at maayos naman na natutugunan ng aking mga teachers ang aking tanong at pangangailangan
- Nagagawa ko parin ang mga bagay na gusto ko gaya ng mga nabangit ko sa taas, nakakapag blog, nakakapag photo gig, nakakapanahi, nakakasideline, may time chumika sa friends, me time sa pamilya at yay! may time sa pag-ibig (char!)
Who can apply for ETEEAP?
- Nasa edad 25 pataas
- May mahigit limang taon na professional experience
- Nakapagtapos na ng High School
What do you need to do to start your very own ETEEAP Journey?
- Course – ano ang kurso na gusto mong kunin na basi sa linya ng trabaho mo
- School – pumili ng paaralan na nag ooffer ng ETEEAP, sa kasalukoyan marami nang accredited universities ang program na ito. You may check on CHED’s website to see the list of accredited schools and courses.
- Fully Accomplished Application Form (Link Here)
- Proof of proficiency – listahan ng mga ginagawa mo sa opisina na may lagda ng iyong manager o supervisor at Human Resource Representative
- Certification – dalhin mo lahat ng certificates mo, kudos cards, or recognition, proof of completion or attendance
- Evaluation Fee – mag tanong at maghanda ng evaluation fee, nag iiba ito base sa paaralan na napili
- Career Portfolio
- Oras – kelangan mo paglaanan ng oras ang mga requirements, diyan nakasasalay ang number ng maaccredit na subjects sayo
My words to all ETEEAP aspirants and those who are planning to finish their studies:
“Believe and you are halfway there” is not a cliché for no reasons at all. I started with only one thing - the belief that I can finish my studies.
Recognize the need – many will tell you di naman kelangan graduate ka, o mas maganda parin mag negosyo and I believe in them, but not everyone eh kaya mag negosyo o di kaya hindi lahat gifted na gifted na kahit sino pipikitan ang educational background mo. Marami sa atin eh kelangan mag trabaho, matuto at umangat sa posisyon para matugunan ang ating pangangailangan and that is the reality that we have to deal with, at para magawa mo yan most of the time you have to have that degree. This is something I am sure na marami ang nakakarelate.
I have once been rejected for a job na experienced na ako just because I havent’ finished college. Ang saklap beshie! Kaya I am sharing this because I've been getting a lot of questions about it and it made me think that many might be very interested on earning their degrees and it is just a matter of knowing that such alternative exists.
"I've been getting a lot of questions about it and it made me think that many might be very interested on earning their degrees and it is just a matter of knowing that such alternative exists."For inspirations, I will be sharing series of the photos I took along the way while finishing my studies, along with some tips. You may follow the Facebook Link below:
My ETEEAP Journey: https://www.facebook.com/tengcereno/media_set?set=a.10209001463535925.1073741911.1297085412&type=3&uploaded=1
Part II - My Actual Experience (to follow pag sinipag ulit :))