Chennai has a lot of beautiful churches. And many of them are located within the campuses of educational institutes. The Chapel located inside the Church Park school campus is one such beautiful structure that remains lesser-known.
Nano Nagle, a pioneer of female education in Ireland, founded the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a religious institute of Roman Catholic women, in 1775 CE.
In 1842 CE, four Presentation sisters came to Chennai to serve the orphans of the Irish soldiers. They took charge of a school and an orphanage in George Town locality.
In 1904 CE, the sisters purchased land in Thousands Light locality. In 1910 CE, Sacred Heart school was inaugurated in the newly purchased land. This school ultimately became the historic Church Park Campus of schools, the prestigious convent of the city, where many prominent citizens did their education.
On 28th June 1935, that is, on the feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, the small but beautifully structured chapel was inaugurated in the school campus.
Check with the alumni of the school. They would have fond memories of the chapel and the adjoining well-maintained park.
Perhaps, as it is located inside the school campus, which is not easily accessible, the almost century-old chapel remains lesser known to Chennaites.