Volksgarten is a relatively small public Park in Vienna, but very centrally located and quite popular with locals and tourists alike. It is situated in the 1st district on the Ringstrasse, across from Austrian Parliament and next to Hofburg and Heldenplatz. With location like that is a perfect relaxation and walking experience when visiting nearby attractions, such as Museum of Natural History and Art History Museum, which both are down the street on Maria-Theresien-Platz.
|Location||Burgring, 1010 Wien, First District, Innere Stadt|
|How to get there||Volksgarten is a walking distance from city center, but if you are coming from elsewhere, U2/US stop at Volkstheater, buses N25, N38, N60 or N66, Trams 1, 2, 71 or D.|
|Opening hours||7 days a week, summer 06:00-22:00, winter 07:00-17:30|
The park itself is considered a part of Hofburg palace and it was built in the place of former city’s fortifications, destroyed by Napoleon’s troops after signing of Treaty of Vienna. The area was being converted into park from 1817 until 1821 and then in 1823 it was decided to convert Volksgarten into a public park, which made it the first public park in Vienna. The name itself holds its nature: ‘Volksgarten’ – ‘People’s park/garden’.
The park was designed in French Baroque style, while the layout has some elements of the English gardens. The most impressive part of the park is a rose garden, with over 3,000 rose bushes and around 200 rose types. The park is managed by the city’s parks authority and it is needless to say that everything is maintained impeccably, year around.
Volksgarten might be small, but it has several notable sculptures and landmarks. There are two fountains: Triton and Nymph (Triton- und Nymphenbrunnen), built in 1880, Volksgarten-Brunnen, built in 1866.
There are several sculptures and monuments as well: Empress Elisabeth monument/memorial with a pond and fountains, inaugurated in 1907 by the Emperor Franz Joseph I; Grillparzer, marble sculpture built in 1889; Raab monument from 1967 and Young Athlete (Jugendlicher Athlet) bronze sculpture from 1921.
In the central part of the park there is a Theseus temple designed and built by Peter von Nobile. The temple used to host sculpture of Theseus by Antonio Canova. The sculpture was moved to Art History Museum (Kunsthistorisches Museum) in 1890, where it seats at the stairwell.
Theseus temple is now an art gallery with exhibitions and events, and it is operated under umbrella of Art History Museum.
There is a restaurant, a pizza place and a cafe in the park and these are very popular during the summer. At the corner of Ringstrasse and Volksgarten street there is a disco club.