Kedarkantha – An All-Weather Trek in Uttarakhand
The Garhwal Himalayas of Uttarakhand state of India is full of natural beauty and adventure surprises like several Himalayan mountain peaks, nature walks and trails, densely forested land, wild animal, and flora & fauna. In Uttarakhand, Some trek routes are religious, adventurous & seasonal but some trek routes are evergreen for adventure lovers such as Kedarkantha Trek which is known for an all-weather trekking activity in Uttarakhand.
Why This Trek?
- Kedarkantha Trek is famous as an all-weather trek option where you experience sparkling snowfalls In the winter season and the scenic natural beauty in the summer season but now It is getting popular for winter trek among adventure in Uttarakhand. The Kedarkantha Trek offers 360 degrees view of the Himalayan peaks.
- The trek route goes through the Govind National Park which is famous for the bio-reserve area and some endangered Himalayan species such as Snow Leopard, Golden Eagle, Brown Bear, Moschus, Western Tragopan. During the chasing this trek route, you see some peaks such as Swargarohini, Black Peak, and Bandarpoonch, and many more peaks.
- In the winter season especially in the month of December and January, this trek route is carpeted with withered brown leaves, and while chasing on this trek, you encounter some breathtaking views of the Himalayas.
- This is the only trek, which allows you to experience the snow-covered trails until late April! which is one of the salient features of the Kedarkantha trek.
It is located in Uttarakashi District, the Western Garhwal of Uttarakhand, and perched at the height of 12,500 ft from sea level. The total distance of the Kedarkantha trek route is about is 23 Km and 6 Days long trek.
The temperature sometimes goes below zero, down to 10 degrees in between November to February and in the summer temperature of the Kedarkantha rises up to 20 degrees during April and June. However, in the winter season, the Kedarkantha mountain goes under heavy snowfalls that make super thrilling destination snow activities like skiing & trekking.
The Base Camp- Sankri Village
The base camp will be at Sankri Village, it is a scenic little Himalayan hamlet, perched in the remote mountains. This village also has lots of tales and mythology; It is believed that the people of a nearby village, Osla are descendent of Kauravas. So, the locals worship Duryodhana ( A Legendary King ) as the protector of the village. Osla village is a part of the Kedarkantha and Har-Ki Doon Trek routes and located in the Govind Ballabh Pant National Park, Uttarkashi.
How to Reach
You have two options
- You can take direct private transport from Dehradun to Sankri village.
- There are direct buses from Dehradun to Sankri Village.
Where to Stay
In Sankri Village, you have the option to stay in – guest house/hotel or enjoying the local culture at a homestay. And during the expedition, you have to stay in the tented accommodation.
- Day 1 Arrive in Sankri Village
- Day 2 Sankri Village to Juda Ka Taal (9000 FT, 5 Kms trek)
- Day 3 Juda ka Taal to Kedarkantha Base Camp (11,200 FT, 4 Kms trek)
- Day 4 Kedarkantha Base Camp – Kedarkantha (12,500 FT) – Hargaon (8,450 FT, 6 km trek)
- Day 5 Hargaon to Sankri Village- 6 km Trek. Depart from Sankri.
The post Kedarkantha – An All-Weather Trek in Uttarakhand appeared first on Rishikesh Day Tour.