Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Consent letter for child travelling abroad with one parent | The Netherlands

Gary John Norman/Getty Images

When a child under 18 years travel with only one Parent, it is strongly recommended that the accompanying parent should have a Consent Letter from the non-traveling parent. 

When you don’t have the consent letter, you risk an investigation at immigration police, delay or miss your flight ; at worst case (when your partner fail to consent on-time when the police call him/her), you even risk to be filed under international child abduction! 

This is not new rule, most of you may already aware of this international child abduction law ‘recommendation’. But it stays only as a recommendation (not a law) in many countries; however, it is seriously followed in the Netherlands. I, myself experienced it and have heard so many dreadful stories from friends too. So never forget to get the Consent letter from your partner while taking the kids with you.

Minor child (under 18) may travel with only one parent when one of the below situation applies: 

  • If you’re a father/mother accompanying your child without your partner, then you should have the other parent's consent (mentioned below)
  • If you’re a single parent, you do not other’s consent , but you will need other documents to prove you’re a legal single parent.
  • If you are the child's parent but you do not have parental responsibility (separated). You will need the consent of the parent who has parental responsibility.

Consent letter for travelling abroad with a minor

You may use the Authorisation form for travelling abroad with a minor (PDF in the link) to prove that you have the permission to accompany the child. Both parents have to sign the form. You must complete and sign a copy of this form for each minor travelling abroad.

As said, this form is not compulsory (it’s not a law), but will save you from the immigration police investigations and speed up your passage through border controls.

You need this form to enter and leave the Netherlands. For the country you are travelling to, you may need other documents or forms. Please check with the local authorities.

For more information:

For all the related documents and explanations, visit the official site of International Child Abduction Center’s Legal expertise centre. In case of any specific questions for your personal situations, you may contact them directly - contact details are: +31 (0)88 800 9000 and [email protected]

This post first appeared on TRIPS AND BOOKS, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Consent letter for child travelling abroad with one parent | The Netherlands


Subscribe to Trips And Books

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription