The yearly Muslim Hajj (journey) to Mecca is in progress, and in excess of a million pilgrims are buying Hajj Packages and as of now have entered Saudi Arabia from abroad. A portion of the key ceremonies associated with the journey are performed on the ninth day of the Islamic month of Dhul Hijjah. Every single grown-up Muslim is required to participate in the hajj, which is among the Five Pillars (center practices) of Islam, at any rate once in their lifetime unless they are physically or financially unequipped for making the journey to Mecca.
Here’s a glance at a numbers of fats related with the hajj:
- In excess of 3 million individuals offer the hajj, as indicated by the administration of Saudi Arabia. More than 64% were men, and the greater part (55%) originated from outside Saudi Arabia. The general yearly number has been ascending in late decades, and is up by in excess of a million from 10 years back. The current year’s number, in any case, is required to be lower than a year ago’s aggregate on the grounds that the Saudi government provided altogether less visas because of concerns about a deadly respiratory virus.
- A current Pew Research Center survey of Muslims around the globe found that, over the 39 nations and regions over-viewed, a middle of 9% say they have made the journey to Mecca. Those living nearer to Mecca will probably have offer the hajj. For instance, 20% of Egyptian Muslims say they have done as such, while only 3% of Indonesian Muslims say they have.
- The Saudi government issues a set number of hajj visas yearly. Despite the fact that those are free, the trek conveys extensive expenses, particularly for transportation and hotel, and travelers must utilize an affirmed travel operator. Hajj Packages 2018 from the United States may surpass $5,000 and in UK it may £4100. In excess of 14,500 American Muslims are required to offer the hajj this year, as indicated by the Religion News Service.
- A few of the essential rituals of the hajj include the number seven. One of them, known as performing tawaf, includes revolving around the Kaaba (the holiest site in Islam) seven times. Pilgrims additionally travel back and forth between the slopes of Safa and Marwa seven times.
- The hajj harmonizes with Eid al-Adha, a noteworthy occasion for Muslims – including those not offering the journey – which starts on the tenth day of Dhul Hijjah. Muslims around the globe with the budgetary intends to do as such generally slaughter a large animal, for example, a cow, goat or sheep, on Eid al-Adha and distribute meat to poor people.
(Numerous American and UK Muslims give to associations that slaughter animals and offer meat to the poor overseas.) The custom sacrifice evokes the Quranic story of Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his child for God.