Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Heath Ledger’s Drug Overdose Death Equals A Wake-Up Call

Heath Ledger first came to attention in the popular teen comedy 10 Things I Hate About You (1999). He immediately became a heart-throb for teenage girls around the world. He died of an “accidental overdose” of prescription drugs on January 22, 2008. A pall of sadness and surprise descended upon his fans, including the young ones. According to the released toxicology report following his autopsy, Heath Ledger died from “acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine.” In other words, he died from complications brought on by powerful prescription drugs that should not be taken together. This lead to a prescription drug overdose.

The prescription drug overdose Death of Heath Ledger is an important object lesson for parents of teenagers. In truth, by calling Ledger’s death accidental, the police downplayed the extremity of the actor’s prescription drug abuse. This may have exonerated him from blame in the eyes of his young fans. Parents need to realize Heath Ledger’s abuse and addiction to prescription drugs is giving teenagers a license to do the same. The national press focused on the tragedy of the actor’s death while ignoring an ongoing pattern of prescription drug abuse. Heath Ledger was a drug addict in desperate need of an intervention by recovery professionals and addiction treatment.

Heath Ledger The Joker

The reason why such a desperate need was ignored was the actor’s excellence and track record of external success. He had been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor for his moving performance as the emotionally confused cowboy Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain. Heath Ledger was getting ready for the release of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight at the time of his death. His performance as the Joker was hugely anticipated by press and fans alike. After his death, the actor would be awarded a rare posthumous Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his work in this tremendous blockbuster.

Although Heath Ledger deserved the accolades he received after his death, the dangerous truth of his death must not be ignored. Fearing young people would not learn from the mistakes made by the popular actor, Heath Ledger’s father decided to take a stand eight years after his passing. In 2016, Kim Ledger spoke out in public about his son’s death, saying the actor’s tragic overdose was entirely his own doing. Kim Ledger told the Daily Mail Australia, “It was totally his fault. It was no one else’s. He reached for [the pills]. He put them in his system. You can’t blame anyone else in that situation. That’s hard to accept because I loved him so much and was so proud of him.”

Heath Ledger’s Death

The night before the actor’s death, the late Oscar-winning star’s sister Kate warned Heath Ledger about the lethal combination of pills that led to his accidental drug overdose. Time and time again, addicts ignore the warnings of their loved ones until it’s too late. Kim Ledger explained with tears in his eyes, “His sister was on the phone with him the night before telling him not to take the prescription medications with the sleeping tablets. He said, ‘Katie, Katie, I’m fine now. I know what I’m doing.’”

Let’s take a second and pay respect to a father taking that step not to protect his son who is now long dead, but to protect children in potential danger. Since the death of his son, Kim Ledger has been working to raise awareness about prescription medication misuse. We desperately need such awareness in the United States as well.

In truth, too many prescription drugs are being diverted from their originally prescribed purpose. The dangerous pills can be misused and abused. From painkillers and benzodiazepines to stimulants and sleeping pills, teen prescription drug abuse is out of control and needs to be addressed. If you find out your teenager is misusing or abusing prescription drugs, please take action before it’s too late. Learn from the loss experienced by Kim Ledger as a parent and the tragedy of the death of his talented son Heath Ledger. The loss of this young actor should be a wake-up call for parents facing the same crisis. Protect your teenager from the deadly risk of prescription drug abuse.

The post Heath Ledger’s Drug Overdose Death Equals A Wake-Up Call appeared first on Teen Rehab.

This post first appeared on TeenRehab, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Heath Ledger’s Drug Overdose Death Equals A Wake-Up Call


Subscribe to Teenrehab

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription