Morocco ranks an average 43rd in the world for its partly restricted cyberspace, with almost 20 million people online in the country. Although Morocco’s government did not block access to apps and websites previously, on January 7, 2016, the Moroccan Telecommunications Regulatory National Agency (ANRT) disclosed that all free Voip services will be banned in the region.
After the legal order was enacted Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, Tango and Facebook Messenger were all banned to access from within Moroccan cyberspace. While these services remain blocked, Moroccan netizens can unblock them with the best Morocco VPN services:
In accordance to ANRT regulations Morocco’s top three telecom providers Meditel, Inwi, and Maroc Telecom have all banned these services. ANRT justified the ban by stating that none of the free VoIP providers had the necessary licenses to run their services in the country. However, it is believed that ANRT’s block was placed to boost local telecommunication provider’s revenue from international calls.
Best Morocco VPN Helps You To Bypass VOIP Restrictions
The ban on social networks and other VoIP’s have caused a havoc in Morocco as many people residing in the region are not able to contact their children or other relatives that live abroad. The best solution Moroccans have to bypass this ban is through a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN is a remote connectivity & online security tool and was designed for business workers who travel a lot. Its primary purpose was to ensure that travelling workers could safely connect to their head office databases or network. Today VPN are employed for many needs including:
- Unblocking Skype, Facebook, Google, WhatsApp & other social apps
- Unblocking blocked websites& apps
- Unblocking geo-restricted streaming services
- Downloading torrents securely
- Safe Browsing & Email
- Adding security for Online Banking
- Operating IP cameras when away
- Unblocking regions for online gaming
- Bypass ISP throttling
How to Unblock Skype in Morocco
Skype is the undisputed leader when it comes to VoIP and video calling over the internet. The ban on Skype has hurt many netizens who work as freelancers online and are now unable to communicate with their employers or find work. This ban also impacts startups that collaborate with international clients for information on how on to run their own setup.
Unblocking Skype in Morocco is a simple 5 step process. Have a look at our Morocco VPN providers listed above and sign up to your favorite one. Once signed up:
- Download and install the VPN app on the respective device (We used PureVPN’s Windows client for this tutorial)
- Launch the VPN and sign in with the login credentials
3. Select any one of the country servers where these services are not blocked (We chose Sydney, Australia). You can choose between USA, UK, Germany, Singapore, France, Belgium, Luxembourg etc. for high speed servers.
4. Once connected, launch Skype you should now be able to use the VoIP service.
How to Unblock WhatsApp in Morocco
WhatsApp is renowned and the king of instant messaging apps across the world also known for its brilliant voice calling. Now that WhatsApp is banned in Morocco there is no other way but to use a VPN service to unblock the WhatsApp in the region.
To unblock WhatsApp in Morocco, here is what you do:
- Uninstall WhatsApp from your device if already on it.
- Subscribe to one of the suggested Morocco VPN services
- Download the VPN app or configure manually, as per your convenience
- Launch the app and sign in to connect to a European server (UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands etc.)
- Now, download WhatsApp, and restart the app
- You should now have an unblocked WhatsApp messenger
You can also unblock Facebook, Tango and many other blocked social apps using the same technique.
Morocco Bans Online Gaming
In mid-May this year, Maroc Telecom blocked access to Steam, Origin (the famous Gaming platform) and other gaming platforms as part of its ban on VoIP services. Many users had complained that they are facing issues while gaming but Maroc Telecom, later denied that it didn’t restrict access to online gaming.
Even though Moroccan online gamers can still access many gaming servers, they are reporting terrible lag, escalating ping, and increased disconnections while gaming. Maroc Telecom stated in its defense that when gamers use their live talk feature on games, its system automatically detects it as VoIP and blocked it. However, the company mentioned that this error has been taken care of and will not occur again.
For any such issues in the future and to improve gaming experience, gamers can use a gaming VPN service. A gaming VPN can help gamers to:
- Bypass local bans
- Improve lag
- Bypass ISP throttling
- Lower ping across certain regions
We recommend using,Kill Ping, a leading edge lag reduction and gaming private networking app. The app was exclusively designed to ensure that gamers can easily reduce their packet loss, lower ping time andreduce lag.
In a Nutshell
Morocco’s government may have banned VoIP services across the country, netizens cans still unblock their favorite social apps and VoIP services with a VPN. Have a look at our exclusive VPN rankings and find the best one for your needs. Read editorial reviews, find latest deals & offers on VPN services and trial your favorite providers using their money back guarantees (remember restrictions apply to all trials & money back offers).
If you have any further queries regarding unblocking any service or how to install a VPN, please leave your questions in the comments section below.