Android Emulator for Linux
When we consider android emulators, the first option is Google’s default Android Emulator available in the android-sdk. But on a normal computer (in my 4GB Ram, Core i3 3rd Gen Processor Laptop) it takes around 5 minute to boot and performance is very laggy. It becomes worse after starting android studio in case you are a developer. Later I started looking for a faster yet stable android emulator for Linux.
Genymotion is the best android emulator I have used. It fast, simple and can be integrated into android studio without any additional configuration. If you are looking for an android emulator for android development or just want to run WhatsApp or something on your computer, Genymotion is the right choice. Genymotion is free for personal use and can be downloaded from their site after signup. If you want to use Genymotion for business use, try Desktop Edition For Business.
Your system must have Virtualbox virtual machine present in order to use Genymotion. If you don't have Virtualbox download the setup for your Linux version from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. Install it and restart system to continue.
How To Install Genymotion In Ubuntu / Linux
- Go to this Genymotion website and make a free account.
- Login using your account and go to this download Page
- Download the right version of the setup for your computer (Select correct architecture 32bit or 64bit. If you are not sure, then download 32 bit )
- The downloaded file will be of .bin extension. Linux wont allow to run a file that is downloaded from internet. You have to give the file executable privilege to run it. To do so, open terminal
Either copy and paste your file to home or change terminal working directory by using 'cd' command.
Type chmod +x where file-name is the name the downloaded file
- Now, The installation will be in progress. Complete the installation
- After the installation, Genymotion can be launched from your launcher/Menu. If it is not present, then start the program manually from /home/you-user name/genymotion/genymotion (You may have to make this program executable using chmod)
- Now you should see the following loading screen
- Once loaded, You should see a login prompt. Use your previous username and password to login.
- Now it is time to add a new phone to this emulator. You can do this by Clicking on the Add (+) button.
- A new window with list of available emulators will be shown. Choose any one you want. Click on Next. Give a name for your device and click Next.
- Wait for the downloading and installing complete. Once you have completed this step, you can see the emulator in your Virtual Device List. You can add any number of emulators you want. I have added 3.
- Congratulations. You have successfully added an emulator. Now it is time to run it. Select the available emulator and click on start button. Then a message box will appear saying "Initializing virtual device"
- Wait until the emulator complete its booting. Here is a screenshot of my emulator
Keywords : Run android apps in linux, Run android apps in pc, Install Genymotion in linux ubuntu mint, Android emulator for linux, Fastest android emulator, Install apk in linux