While food scientists have been in pursuit of the perfect lab-made hamburger, most of the results have been poor imitations or prohibitively expensive. Impossible Foods is the latest alternative food company attempting to tickle the tastebuds with its Meatless Impossible Burger, which is claimed to look, smell and taste like real meat. The secret ingredient? Heme, a component of the red pigment in blood.
- Food technology
- Biohackers are developing a vegan cheese
- Naturally-occurring protein has melting ice cream problem licked
- The buzz about entomophagy: Is eating insects more than a novelty?
- Making peanuts safe for allergy sufferers
- Farm 432: The handy kitchen appliance that breeds fly larva for protein
- Harvard researchers find protein that could reverse the aging process