Ants have an incredible capacity to work together for the good of the collective, but a freshly discovered species shows just how far they are willing to go. Colobopsis explodens has been observed in the rainforests of southeast Asia making the ultimate sacrifice, blowing their bodies apart in an attempt to stop predators in their tracks.
- How ants could inspire a new generation of antibiotics
- Termites vs. plants: Mystery of desert "fairy circles" solved
- "Zombie ant" fungus found to leave its victim's brains uneaten
- For these insects to survive, imitation is golden
- Praying mantises regularly hunt and kill small birds
- A wasp horror story that makes you glad you're not an insect