In the future, we might overcome anxiety about a dying phone battery by doing a few star jumps. A team from Vanderbilt University is developing an ultra-thin device that can generate electricity from motions as subtle as sitting down, opening up the possibility of clothes that charge phones or light up like an LCD screen.
- Vanderbilt University
- Stay warm: These electronics will self-destruct at room temperature
- Needle-sized mechanical wrist gives surgery a new angle
- DIY "junkyard battery" inspired by ancient blueprint stores energy cheaply
- Electrical current through the brain jolts vision into sharper focus
- "Nano-spirals" could make counterfeiting almost impossible
- New gamma-ray spectroscope would reveal what lies within for asteroid miners