No matter where you go, whether it is the local internet café or your desk at home, there is always an imminent threat when there is Liquid anywhere close by.
The only way to make sure your Laptop doesn’t go up in smoke is to know what steps to take should it ever get wet! Here are the 10 steps you should take immediately…
1. TURN IT OFF. When your laptop gets wet, time is of the essence, so shut it down immediately and take out the battery before the liquid reaches it.
2. Remove any cables, external drives, network cards, USBs, etc. It’s best if your laptop is not connected to anything.
3. Be quick, but be careful! Soak up any excess liquid with a cloth, and be sure not to use a wiping movement as this will just push the liquid around.
4. Blot up any liquid that may have messed on the removable media.
5. Take your laptop and tilt it from side to side, this will help to drain any extra liquid out, be careful not to shake your laptop!
6. Place it upside down to allow the excess liquid to drain out.
7. If you have a hair dryer handy, put it on the cool setting and dry your laptop while it is upside down.
8. Your laptop should be able to dry out in one hour; however it is best to leave it to dry for 24 hours.
9. Once your laptop has dried, put all the components back and start it up. Hopefully it starts up without any issues – make sure to test some programs, etc. to make sure everything is working properly.
10. If your laptop doesn’t start up or there are a few issues when it does, then it is time to take it to the professionals. At The Computer Guyz in Cape Town and Johannesburg, we offer reliable IT repairs, equipment and even some friendly advice. If your laptop ever gets wet, give us a call on 087 001 0511/2 or email [email protected]
If the worst happens and you mess liquid on your laptop, use these 10 steps to do what you can to clean it up and protect it from any further damage!