Of late I have noticed that most of the big players in the smartphone game are releasing new phones with obvious improvements over older models, but lacking any real sanity-smashing game-changing new features.
Some may beg to differ, but I am talking about influential features like these:
- NFC - upon launch it was a biggie, but now this is pretty much a standard;
- Wireless charging - what no cables? How can this be? Very useful indeed;
- Hand gestures / facial recognition type technology that are now present in a lot of high-end smartphones;
- Fingerprint readers - building a seriously solid layer of security into devices that are often full of sensitive info;
So my question is, what's next?
Samsung are generally pretty good at the "wow" stuff, with insanely powerful beast phones powered by V8 motors, and capable of some pretty amazing things... :)
I am also bombarded daily by tech mail ranting on about Iphone 6 this and iPhone 6 that, "new" features (which are nearly all present on competitor devices), how the iPhone 6 will take down all competitors etc... beyond boring really.
In truth, what game-changing and crazy new features has the iPhone 6 got?
Well, there is Apple Pay, which is an attempt at replacing the traditional credit card in order to pay for goods.
Others have tried (with some success), but I'm not sure how widely adopted it will be, especially after Apple's recent spectacular fail at the hands of hackers, which resulted in the leaking of hundreds celebrity photos - go iCloud, you impenetrable fortress you!
Right, so we know that Apple cannot be trusted to safeguard data. Good luck Apple Pay!
On an unconfirmed note, I have heard rumours of a feature that may find its way onto the next Nokia Lumia flagship, and this one really would be a game-changer if it turned out to be true...:
We are all at the mercy of cellphone battery capacity nowadays, so if the battery dies, who cares what else your phone can do anyway?
But a device that you can just pop in the sun to revive? Now that's something that I would pay good money for.
Think it's true?
What feature do you think could be added to new smartphones to make your life simpler, or otherwise change the game completely?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs. Nokia Lumia 1520, Battle of the Giants
- Apple's plan to change how you pay for everything
- Everything You Need to Know about the Microsoft Lumia Denim Update
- Apple locks down iPhone 6 NFC to Apple Pay