Voting for the second annual Steam Awards recently concluded, and Valve has now revealed the winners. Although the categories are more unusual than what we’re accustomed to seeing from end-of-year awards, that didn’t stop the usual suspects from winning.
As you’ll see, Steam Awards are not restricted to games released in 2017, and with good reason. Valve recently announced Steam’s best-selling games for the year, and many of them, like Rainbow Six Siege, Grand Theft Auto V, and The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, are in some cases multiple years old.
In the Choices Matter category, which is meant to celebrate games that provide you with a range of freedom, The Witcher III came out on top, beating out the likes of Divinity: Original Sin II and Dishonored 2. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds won the Mom’s Spaghetti category, which consisted of intense, stressful games like Resident Evil 7: Biohazard and The Evil Within 2.
Garry’s Mod, released in 2006, won an award
The Labor of Love award, for older titles with strong continued support, went to Warframe, beating out games such as Team Fortress 2 and Path of Exile. The Suspension of Disbelief category went to Rocket League, while Cuphead, Just Cause 3, and Stardew Valley won other awards. Cuphead was the only game to win more than one award this year, taking home both Best Soundtrack and Even Better Than I Expected. You can see the full list of winners below or on Steam.
Each category consisted of five games that Steam users could vote on. Those five were nominated by users previously, with categories each opening up for a single day during the just-concluded Steam winter sale.
Steam Awards 2017 Winners
- Choices Matter — The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
- Mom’s Spaghetti — PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
- Labor Of Love — Warframe
- Suspension of Disbelief — Rocket League
- The World Is Grim Enough, Let’s Just All Get Along — Stardew Valley
- No Apologies — The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
- Defies Description — Garry’s Mod
- Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War — Just Cause 3
- Haunts My Dreams — Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Soul of Vitruvius — Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0 — The Evil Within 2
- Best Soundtrack — Cuphead
- Even Better Than I Expected — Cuphead
The post Steam Awards Winners Announced And, Surprise, The Witcher 3 Is Still Winning Things appeared first on Polygons and Gadgets.