Chelsea could beat Arsenal to the signing of Inter Milan’s captain, while Jose Mourinho still has big plans for Manchester United’s squad, according to today’s papers.
Guardiola Wants Man City To Sell Nasri; Three Others Could Follow
A host of newspapers on Tuesday suggest Guardiola is adamant Nasri does not have the required work-rate to fit into his plans this season, although there are conflicting reports whether the midfielder has been officially placed on the transfer list or not.
France international Nasri was told to train alone after reporting back for pre-season overweight, despite previously claiming Guardiola would be a “lucky man” to have him in his squad.
Injuries saw the 29-year-old make only four Premier League starts last term, and while his £130,000-a-week wages will deter many suitors, it is understood Roma remain interested in the former Arsenal man.
Alongside Nasri, Eliaquim Mangala, Jesus Navas and Wilfried Bony will all be be allowed to leave if the club receive sufficient offers, according to the Daily Express.
Bony has been linked with a move to Everton as part of a potential swap deal which would see City finally land John Stones.
However, The Times report that the Toffees do not want the former Swansea Striker included, and the two clubs are now close to agreeing a restructured deal which will reach £50million including potential add-ons.
Chelsea Eye Icardi Move
Arsenal face competition from Chelsea for Mauro Icardi after the Blues accepted defeat in their pursuit of Romelu Lukaku.
Chelsea have chased Everton striker Lukaku all summer but are unwilling to meet Everton’s £75million valuation of the Belgian, who left Stamford Bridge for £28million only two years ago.
And according to both the Daily Express and Daily Star, Blues boss Antonio Conte has now earmarked Inter Milan captain Icardi as the man to support Diego Costa in attack.
Arsenal are understood to be interested in the Argentinian, who could cost aroun £30million, but their hesitation in pursuing a deal could open the door for Chelsea to steal in.
Alvaro Morata has been another name linked with Chelsea, but the Spanish forward is now expected to stay at Real Madrid.
Manchester United’s Unwanted Men
After finally completing the world record capture of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, Jose Mourinho will now start work on trimming his Manchester United squad.
Bastian Schweingsteiger, as expected, heads up the names of players that will be allowed to leave the club, after being told to train with the Under-23 squad.
And The Daily Telegraph report that Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind and Juan Mata are all not part of Mourinho’s first-team plans.
The trio have all be linked with a departure previously, but the report also adds Ashley Young, Matteo Darmian, Memphis Depay and Adnan Januzaj to the list of players which the Portuguese would be happy to sell.
Youngsters Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, James Wilson, James Wilson, Paddy McNair, Andreas Pereira and Will Keane have all been made available for a loan move.
While the Mourinho is now content with his arrivals following the signing of Pogba, he remains in the hunt for an experienced defender to help nurture the likes of Eric Bailly and Luke Shaw, with Ezequiel Garay of Zenit St Petersburg and Juventus’ Leonardo Bonucci both mentioned.
Depending on who is moved out, a new right-back is also on the agenda, Monaco’s Fabinho on the shortlist.
AC Milan, Inter Milan and Roma are interested in signing Samir Nasri, 29, with Manchester City willing to listen to offers for the French midfielder. (Sky Sports)
City want £18m for the Frenchman, who only started four Premier League games last season. (Daily Star)
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola could make an increased bid for John Stones after City previously refused to match Everton's £50m asking price for the 22-year-old England defender. (The Times - subscription required)
Perhaps in preparation for the departure of Stones, Everton have offered £18m for Sunderland's Ivory Coast international defender Lamine Kone, 27. (Daily Mail)
Arsenal could sign Valencia's German defender Shkodran Mustafi, 24, and Northern Ireland centre-back Jonny Evans, 28, of West Brom before the season starts after Per Mertesacker and Gabriel were injured in pre-season. (Daily Mirror)
The Gunners are battling Napoli for Inter Milan's Argentina striker Mauro Icardi, 23. Arsenal are willing to offer France striker Olivier Giroud, 29, plus £30m in exchange. (Gazzetta)
But Chelsea are also interested in the £50m-rated player, after failing to sign Everton's striker Romelu Lukaku, 23. (Daily Star)
Or the Blues will bid £65m for Lukaku and are willing to wait until transfer deadline day to sign the Belgian. (Daily Express)
Arsenal are also interested in re-signing Besiktas' Oguzhan Ozyakup, 23, who played for the Gunners as a youngster. But they face competition from AC Milan, Fiorentina and Borussia Dortmund for the Turkey playmaker. (Gazzetta)
Championship side Wolves are set to break their transfer record and beat Liverpool to sign Benfica's Brazilian forward Anderson Talisca, 22. (The Sun)
Everton boss Ronald Koeman is still keen on Swansea and Wales defender Ashley Williams, 31, despite having an initial £10m bid rejected. (Daily Mirror)
Bastian Schweinsteiger, Marcos Rojo, Daley Blind and Juan Mata could all be on their way out of Manchester United. (Daily Telegraph)
The true cost of France and Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba's move to Manchester United is £190m. (Squawka)
Paris St-Germain have finished their transfer business for the summer, according to the club's president. (L'Equipe - in French)
Former England manager Roy Hodgson has turned down two job offers, one in China and another in the Premier League, and may now retire from football.(Bleacher Report)
Wilfried Bony, Samir Nasri, Jesus Navas and Eliaquim Mangala could all be on their way out of Manchester City. (Daily Mail)
Everton have had an £18m offer for Crystal Palace's 27-year-old Congolese winger Yannick Bolasie rejected, with the London side hoping for a figure closer to £30m. (Guardian)
Leicester are close to signing Deportivo La Coruna's Spanish striker Lucas Perez, 27.(Sport via Leicester Mercury)
Former Valencia coach Gary Neville, who has returned to football punditry, says he will focus on business and television "for now." (The Times - subscription required)
Tuesday's Daily Telegraph pictures a quartet of players it claims Jose Mourinho does not want at Manchester United
Greece goalkeeper Dimi Konstantopoulos, 37, says he will not be leaving Middlesbrough this summer. (Hartlepool Mail)
Besiktas say they will not be signing Liverpool strikers Mario Balotelli, 25, and Christian Benteke, 25, after being put off by the Italian's temperament and the Belgian's asking price. (Talksport)
West Ham striker Andy Carroll, 27, is looking for a return to the England set-up. (ESPN)
Former England striker Gabby Agbonlahor, 29, has been told he is unlikely to play for Aston Villa again. (Birmingham Mail)