During the 2022 season, I’ll have occasional reports on games I’ve attended of the Rochester Red Wings, the AAA affiliate of the Washington Nationals.
Last night’s 3-2 loss to Syracuse was, for such a close game, a rather nondescript one, as the Wings were foiled by a lack of clutch hitting and a would-be tying run being thrown out at the plate.
So, instead, I’m updating my opening day look at the team by having one line on every member of the Red Wings who was not on the opening day roster. I am not including Alcides Escobar, who is on a rehab assignment.
Here we go:
- Cory Abbott was acquired by the Nationals off waivers from the Giants in May.
- Joan Adon is looking to get back to Washington after being sent down with a 1-11 record and 6.97 ERA thus far in the show this season.
- Luis Avilan is an MLB veteran of 458 games, primarily with Atlanta and the Dodgers.
- Matt Brill came to the Nationals organization after initially being with Arizona, and was moved from AA to AAA in early June.
- Zack Burdi, currently on the IL, saw some MLB time with the White Sox and Orioles last season.
- Sam Clay first made his Rochester Red Wings debut in 2019, during the Twins era.
- Matt Cronin had a minuscule 0.55 ERA in AA Harrisburg before being called up to the Wings in late May.
- This is Danny Dopico‘s first year in the Nationals organization, having previously been with the White Sox.
- Aside from Cade Cavalli, Cole Henry is likely the biggest pitching prospect in the Nationals system.
- Patrick Murphy has pitched in 35 career MLB games.
- Sterling Sharp is not related to former NFL player Sterling Sharpe, as should be clear by the fact their last names are spelled different.
- Mason Thompson has a 3.86 ERA in 25.2 career IP in Major League Baseball.
- Taylor Gushue had a cup of coffee with the Cubs in 2021.
- Curacao’s Junior Martina has leapfrogged AA to join the Red Wings.
- Ildemaro Vargas has seen MLB time with Arizona, the Cubs, Minnesota, and Pittsburgh.
- Josh Palacios‘ uncle, Rey Palacios, is both a former big leaguer and a longtime Rochester firefighter.
The Red Wings continue their series against Syracuse through Sunday.
This post first appeared on The Baseball Continuum | A Look At Baseball (and O, please read the originial post: here