Here's an March 5, 1951 Acme Press Photo taken during Spring Training activities in Vero Beach featuring Dodgers outfielder Tommy Brown, alongside his father Bill Brown. (eBay Auction Link) Per the descriptor on the reverse:
A COUPLE OF CANDIDATES. Vero Beach, Fla.: Reversing the usual trend, Bill Brown has decided to follow in the spike-prints of his son Tommy. Here he works out with the young Brooklyn slugger at the Dodgers spring training camp in Vero Beach. Chuck Dressen: please take note.Below are more links to checkout:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 2005 Grady Little is named the manager of the Dodgers. He would be the skipper the club for two seasons -- recording a 170-154 record. In 2013 the Dodgers signed free agent reliever Brian Wilson. Wilson would wear Dodger Blue for two seasons -- recording an overall 4-5 record in Los Angeles, 3.77 ERA, 3.79 FIP and one save as a middle reliever. In 2015 a trade between the Reds and Dodgers involving reliever Aroldis Chapman is held up after a police report is unearthed that details a gun incident at the pitchers home. As a result, Chapman faced possible suspension under Major League Baseball's domestic violence policy.
- Happy Birthday, Mike Baxter, Tom Lovett, Ryan Theriot & Yasiel Puig!
- This is horrible news. Per an AP report at Yahoo; "Luis Valbuena, Jose Castillo die in car crash in Venezuela."
- Via NBC4; "Jaime Jarrin Honored at Board of Supervisors Meeting."
"For 60 years and counting, Jaime Jarrin has been the voice of the @Dodgers, serving as an ambassador for Spanish-speaking baseball fans," Barger tweeted after the ceremony. "It was such a pleasure to honor his spectacular legacy today and celebrate his induction into the Ring of Honor!"
|(Pic via a tweet by Kathryn Barger)|
- This weeks Topps online exclusive Throwback Thursday set features some of the games top rookies; including Dodger hurler Walker Buehler. Go here to check it out and order. See the Buehler card on the right.
- Per the Arabian Gazette; "Pitching Legend Orel Hershiser visiting Dubai to Promote Baseball in UAE."
- You should check this out. Jon Weisman at Dodger Thoughts shares an interview with former Dodger hurler Burt "Happy" Hooton.
- I didn't really take this idea seriously, but apparently it's moving forward. Per Brian Day at KTLA5; "Metro, Contractor Sign Letter of Intent to Begin Development of Dodger Stadium Gondola Project."
The move begins the project development phase of the proposal, clearing the way for negotiations about the specifics of the project, Metro said in a written statement.“This is a critical milestone in developing an innovative and exciting way for Dodgers fans to get to the game while reducing traffic,” Metro CEO Phillip A. Washington said. “For the sixth year in a row, the Dodgers have led Major League Baseball in attendance and we want to keep that streak going by finding ways to make it more convenient to reach the stadium.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *