Who knew Maeda had such style? Check out Kenta sporting a rather stylish outfit with the Dodgers resident fashion maven, Matt Kemp, while on the plan as they head out to Milwaukee for today's game, via the Dodgers on twitter. BTW, the Dodgers released their roster for the NLCS this morning and there is only one notable change. Lefty Julio Urias will replace fellow-lefty Scott Alexander in the bullpen. Check out the entire roster below.
On a side note, I am very excited about this series, and not for why you might think.
One of my favorite teams growing up (other than the Dodgers) was the Brewers, and the reason isn't really all too surprising. The very first little league team I played on was the Brew Crew, so as a child I gravitated, just a bit, towards that club. I followed them in the standings and would collect players like Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, Ted Simmons and Gorman Thomas. But there was one player I was absolutely smitten with. It was Robin Yount, and to this very day I still collect his cards. So, this matchup brings up all kinds of weird feelings -- most of which is utter excitement at seeing a boyhood dream finally come true. As I'm sure you know, this is the very first time the Dodgers and Brewers have ever faced each other in the playoffs.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1916 the Brooklyn Robins lost Game 5 against the Boston Red Sox to lose the World Series. As a side note, Boston played their games at the home of their NL rival, Boston Braves, since their stadium held more patrons than Fenway Park. In 1920 the Cleveland Indians defeated the Brooklyn Robins to win the World Series. In 1949 Vin Scully, after being recruited by Red Barber, worked his very first broadcast of his career when he does play-by-play for a college football game between Maryland and Boston University. He famously called the game from atop the roof during a very frigid day at Fenway Park. In 1988 Orel Hershiser threw a five-hit shutout victory, 6-0, against the NY Mets in Game 7 of the NLCS to advance to the World Series.
- Happy Birthday, Ed Householder, Steve Shirley, Sid Fernandez, Jose Valentin, Tanyon Sturtze & Nick Tepesch!
- Podcast: True Blue LA; NLCS preview podcast: Dodgers vs. Brewers (Podcast Link).
- Per Andrew Denny at Inquisitr; "25 Reasons Why You Should Be A Dodgers Fan [Opinion]." No man has ever been more right than Andrew Denny.
- Does anybody know if the Dodgers are staying here. Via JR Radcliffe at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel; "Here's a list of MLB players who have been haunted by Milwaukee's Pfister Hotel." This place is infamous.
2012: Bryce Harper -- The Nationals star said one year after his experience: "I laid a pair of jeans and a shirt on that table at the foot of the bed. When I woke up in the morning -- I swear on everything -- the clothes were on the floor and the table was on the opposite side of the room."
- This is fun. The Dodgers Reddit has a thread featuring a pic of Alex Verdugo sliding and the OP ask fans to do their best, or worst photoshopped creations. Go here to check it out. To the right is my favorite.
- Via Craig Minami at True Blue LA; "Keibert Ruiz headlines Dodger prospects in Arizona Fall League: Ruiz has two hits in first game in the Arizona desert."
- Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily; "Analyzing the Population of High-Grade Sandy Koufax Cards."
- Giovanni Balistreri at When Topps Had Balls shares a fantastic fantasy custom card of Dodger hurler Bill Singer.
- This weeks Topps Throwback Thursday online-exclusive six-card set features the 1964 Topps Baseball design, and includes Dodgers hurler Walker Buehler. Check out Walker's card below, on the right. Go here to check it out and order.
- Additionally, this weeks Topps On-Demand set (#10) focuses on the MLB Postseason and includes numerous Dodger cards; including a Manny Machado autographed card you can see below, on the left. Go here to check it out and order.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *